DRL re-wiring help

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
yuuki

DRL re-wiring help

Post by yuuki »

i know that there is a full site about this with step by step procedures (http://www.mx3gsr.freeservers.com/clear_inst.htm#part3) but I have little experience in dealing with these type of jobs...

i can disable the DRL by removing the white connector right above the module that the guy is holding in this pic http://www.mx3gsr.freeservers.com/pics/drl1.jpg is that the right piece to remove when disabling and then rewiring the DRL?

I'm not sure as to which connector is used when rewiring the DRL's, but i'd really like to rewire them to put less strain on my alternator with the 65W wasted a piece DRL's... and to lengthen the life of my headlight bulbs...

another question would be is if it was possible to remove the power resistor completely to have it feed the headlights with the full 65W for the DRL's since 65W is already wasted if the power resistor is there anyway

any responses and help are greatly appreciated!! thanks

<small>[ March 14, 2004, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: yuuki ]</small>
Taras

Re: DRL re-wiring help

Post by Taras »

Why don't you just remove a resistor under the hood ans wire the drl's directly to your front parking lights. This way you do not waste as much power. I beleive it is one of the suggections on Luc's site.
Taras
'92 GS Gray ZE
'05 Gixxer 750
MxWest VP
www.mx-west.com
yuuki

Post by yuuki »

thanks for the response :) , yeah i have thought of that, but i don't know if i pulled the right connector (white) to remove the DRL's or not, all i know is when i pulled it the DRL's do not come on anymore...

furthermore if it is the right connector, which connector end would i use to wire to the parking lights? sorry i am a complete beginner when it comes to this stuff :)
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

I agree with Taras, wiring the DRL without the resistor is just you turning on your highbeam, probably not all that suitable for city drivers.
Originally posted by yuuki:
...furthermore if it is the right connector, which connector end would i use to wire to the parking lights? sorry i am a complete beginner when it comes to this stuff :)
There should be two wires in that harness, one is "full power" going into the resistor, one is "weakened power" coming out of the resistor. You can use the "full power" one to trigger your parking light relay (DNS relay, will explain in a bit...)

I'd prefer to wire up the relay using the DRL controller/DRL relay under the glove compartment near the right foot of the pasenger. if you pull up the kick platey piece under the door and the plastic trim right in front of it you'll expose a relay mounted on in there. There is a gray wire (at least in '92 GS) which is controlled by the ignition, that's the one I used to trigger my DRL.

DNS relay (for parking light)
If you stick your head under the driver seat and look up you'll see a row of relays (harnesses plugging into black rectangular boxes.) Turn your parking lights on and off you can hear (and even feel with your fingers) the relay clicking. I think it was the red wire with white strip that's the power for the parking light. You can just run the gray wire into that one to have the ignition turn the parking lights on/off.

I'll check how accurate my memory is against a wiring diagram when I get home, maybe even scan a few pictures to show where things are. Expect a follow up or editing tonight. :)

And don't even bother apologizing for asking, everyone has to start somewhere. :2thumbsup:

Cheers,

Eugene
yuuki

Post by yuuki »

thanks for such an extensive post :) , a follow up would help wonders...

would it be any different for the 94+ models? any of the procedures

i don't want my full parking lights to come on during the day though... if that's what you meant, i just want the 2 front parking lights to turn on in place of my DRL's or in Luc's site.. add 2 new bulbs altogether..

something relatively simple to replace my regular DRL's is ideal =P

one last thing! as long as the white connector that stops my DRL's from coming on is pulled I wouldn't be wasting 65W a bulb for my DRL's right?

thanks again

<small>[ March 16, 2004, 02:49 PM: Message edited by: yuuki ]</small>
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

Hey,

Sorry I didn't have a diagram follow-up, I was feeling sick when I get home last nigt then got distracted by the hockey game...

The wiring is the same throughout the years as much as I know, but the color coding maybe different. (Though the wires are still in the same slots in the plug, so when I get a chance to scam some diagrams...hehheh I'll try tonight)

If you just want the two inner bulbs you're gonna add to the corner housing that's even simpler. All you need to do is to disconnect the white plug going into the resistor (this way will sapre your 65W drain too) and split the "full power in" wire into the two bulbs...I'll mark it on the diagram before scanning.

I did get greedy and used bulbs too powerful in the added slots and cracks started to develop in the winter...I guess it wasn't coping with the temperature change too well...now I just have a bulb that turns on with the parking lights.

Sorry for the long post again :)

Ciao for now, I won't be home till maybe 9 in the evening...(12 hours from this post) I'll scan the diagram then.

Eugene
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

Here's the diagram, just got home 10 min ago. Sorry it's so late (probably not over there tho)

Anyways:

http://members.rogers.com/aishi/drl.jpg

As can be seen the "full power in" is the wire on top of the bunch, in the slot right under the clip. I'd poke it with a test light just to see, when the harness is disconnected one will have power and one won't so it's easy...

Don't exactly have much CG skills to show off here, ;)

Cheers,

FRiK
yuuki

Post by yuuki »

hey thanks Eugene for all your help, and with the diagram!
mx3frik

Post by mx3frik »

No problem at all :) Lemme know how things turn out.

Cheers!

Eugene
yuuki

Post by yuuki »

from the help of your diagram and extensive post the mod was a success :)
IslandMx3

Post by IslandMx3 »

hey guys, i just bought a 9004 hid kit. and im having the same problem with the drl's.. can someone please send me a picture of where this white connector is under the hood that i need to pull??, i have looked in the fuse box and everywhere in the engine bay to unplug this drl relay. i hate the dang thing!!!!! basically not driving my car until this problem gets resolved. so quick help would be much appreciated.
CHEERS
cody

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”