safe rpm range?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
yuuki

safe rpm range?

Post by yuuki »

hey i'm a little curious... what do you guys think is a safe RPMS to bring an auto V6 tranny up to before it is "too much"?? (premature wear)

any opinions or knowledge is highly appreciated thanks!

<small>[ January 18, 2004, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: yuuki ]</small>
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Re: safe rpm range?

Post by masonholmes »

As long as things are operating as they should, fluid is good, levels are correct etc, I don't see any problem smacking the rev limiter. I know I have plenty with this tranny, and ones in past GS's. In general, if it's not in the stages of going bad, if you just let it shift wherever it goes when you put your foot down, it is fine. I wouldn't worry about it unless your fluid level seems to be dropping or it is not shifting/performing as it should.
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com
Sonicxtacy02

Re: safe rpm range?

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

There's nothing wrong with reving the v6 to its full potential in an auto. The problems come in day to day driving scenarios such as when you're slowing down for a light, the car downshifts, then the light turns green before you come to a complete stop. Moments that you cant avoid while driving are the times that the tranny overheats and damage starts to occur. In a perfect world we'd all be able to just floor it from a stop and not have to let go.. then our trannys would last a lifetime. Unfortunately the real world doesnt work that way ;)
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R

Return to “Transmissions”