Tranny's to fit MX-3 GS ATX

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
valenzul

Tranny's to fit MX-3 GS ATX

Post by valenzul »

First off, just bought a car that the tranny only drives fwd. The tranny goes fwd, even in reverse and neutral. I'm going to check out the shift cable, but it looks like it is the tranny.

Would like to switch to a tranny. been looking at the info in the groups and this page. Just need to know what is involved if I get another tranny off Probe/626/mx6. Some say need ECU. appreciate anyone with info.

-Val
guyaverage

Re: Tranny's to fit MX-3 GS ATX

Post by guyaverage »

Prepare yourself for the 900 replies telling you to swap it to a 5 speed....

I hope someone knows the answer to your question though as I've been curious about this myself.
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
valenzul

Post by valenzul »

yeah.. I'm not interested in spending $1200 or more on swap. I need to get this running for my newphews. I bought the car cheap. would need to just get it up and running.

-Val
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Val, I just another GS with a bad ATX tranny and from my research I think it won't be that much more to swap to the MTX. It all depends how much your willing to spend on a rebuilt ATX which could cost up to $1200 and you can find used MTX's for roughly $250, add up all the other parts you will need and you could be still be under $1200 if you get it all from a junk yard or someone parting out a GS. Then the only issue you have to worry about is your own time and effort doing the swap. :shrug:
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

ok i'll step in.

i HAD an mx-6 tranny in my mx-3 and it did no better for me than the mx-3 tranny did. Its not that the tranny cant hold the power of the k8, its that the tranny was designed with quite alot of flaws, most of which you cant even avoid with simple driving. My suggestion is to spend as much money as you can to build your auto if you dont want to swap. Should you just go for a remanu you're just gonna hit the same $2000 problems in two years or less. If you can afford cryo treating thats the best option, if not then i would strongly suggest you purchase aftermarket clutchpacks and probably a torque converter as well. Front Seal is also a trouble spot that should be immediately brought to attention. Lastly and probably most importantly, add a tranny cooler.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
valenzul

Post by valenzul »

This should fit right?
Sorry for all that is telling me to switch to manual. I just don't want to spend money on this car right now. I may sell it later.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33727&item=2443432072

-Val
bikeguy18974

Post by bikeguy18974 »

I've got a possible answer but also a question.

It seems many people do the KL-ZE swap. As far as I know most KLZE's were mated to auto transmissions. I've seen prices from somewhere that the KL-ZE only costs $200 US more to include the ATX with it. To me this seems like one should be able to get an ATX from one of these places for like $200 since most times people only want the engine. Or if you have the means buy the package and sell the engine.

Would the KLZE ATX work with the stock K8? Would I need a different ATX computer to run it?

Just wondering for the future.
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

You don't want a KL (or KF) ecu, they won't work with your engine or trans, even after it's been swapped, those ECU's aren't designed to use the TCM that comes with the K8 auto, if a MX6 auto worked for Shaun, then it sounds like a great idea, we have the opposite thing happening in New Zealand, everyone wants the transmissions - not the engines!
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
cap4004

Post by cap4004 »

The K8 ECU will NOT operate an ATX from an mx-6/probe/626/etc. Those ATX's require the ECU from mx-6/etc. I imagine significant work would be involved with removing the mx-3 TCM and rewiring for the new ECU. (Shaun tell me if I'm wrong.) The tranny from the kl-ze is no exception - it will require the KL ECU.

If you stick with the ATX, whether it be rebuilt or swapped, Shaun is very right about the cooler. The stock cooler is not adequate, and is a major factor in the failures of these trannies.

ps - swap to mtx! :laugh:

<small>[ February 10, 2004, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: cap4004 ]</small>
1992 MX-3 kl-ze, atx-to-mtx conv.
1993 MX-3 RS atx
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Originally posted by cap4004:
The K8 ECU will NOT operate an ATX from an mx-6/probe/626/etc. Those ATX's require the ECU from mx-6/etc. I imagine significant work would be involved with removing the mx-3 TCM and rewiring for the new ECU. (Shaun tell me if I'm wrong.) The tranny from the kl-ze is no exception - it will require the KL ECU.

If you stick with the ATX, whether it be rebuilt or swapped, Shaun is very right about the cooler. The stock cooler is not adequate, and is a major factor in the failures of these trannies.
Well, The ECU has nothing really to do with the tranny. We have an additional control module called the ATCM. I would think that all you would need is the ATCM for that peticular tranny. I could be wrong..
cap4004

Post by cap4004 »

The MX-3 has a TCM, but the MX-6/etc. have the atx control built into the ECU. This is why the ECU must match the ATX, and why the MX-3 TCM cannot control the other trannies.
1992 MX-3 kl-ze, atx-to-mtx conv.
1993 MX-3 RS atx
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Originally posted by cap4004:
The MX-3 has a TCM, but the MX-6/etc. have the atx control built into the ECU. This is why the ECU must match the ATX, and why the MX-3 TCM cannot control the other trannies.
I stand corrected. That sthe one think I wasnt sure about, thanks.
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

I'm a little late on this but what cap is saying is correct. If you change the tranny you will need to change the ecu as well.
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R

Return to “Transmissions”