Flashing Hold light!

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
pcperez83

Flashing Hold light!

Post by pcperez83 »

Hey there i hade my ATX rebuilt 2 years ago after it stop working completely. And now My tranny is giving me hell again. I'm getting the flashing hold light all the time and now the car will not shift into 4th gear. the highest it goes is 3rd. I need some help/advice i don't want to sell the car, so if there re any solutions or recomendations i'd really appreciate that. :D :D :D
David Coleman

Re: Flashing Hold light!

Post by David Coleman »

no clue...moved to the slushbox forum.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Q187

Post by Q187 »

Uh oh......the same thing just happened to me and a week later my tranny totally blew itself....and it was also 2 years after i had it rebuilt. Hope it doesn't happen to you.....
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

Whenever the hold light starts flashing on the Auto that is sign you have major problems with the tranny, most of the time if it's flashing then it's probably already too late to do anything easy to fix it.<p>Most likely your torque converter is screwed.<p>Is it shifting hard or slipping?<p>[ March 16, 2003: Message edited by: Andrew_Pakula ]</p>
novadoc

Post by novadoc »

you could probobly do the mtx swap for cheaper than buying another atx tranny<p>somethin to look into maybe :shrug:
NoVa<p>Image
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by NoVa:
you could probobly do the mtx swap for cheaper than buying another atx tranny<p>somethin to look into maybe :shrug: <hr></blockquote><p>Yes you could, you just need to find a good shop that actually knows what they are doing.
pcperez83

Post by pcperez83 »

I was thinking of doing the wap myself, i just wanna find a place where i can get all the parts for under a grand.
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

Actually the Torque Converter is alot more robust than the actual transmission. My bet is failing clutchpacks. Also could be somthing as simple as a VSS - Vehical Speed Sensor. There's a way to flash ATX codes via the hold light, but at the moment I can't remember which two pins to jump in the diagnostics box. Hit me a personal email and I may try and find it for you.
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com
pcperez83

Post by pcperez83 »

i'm picking up the manual tranny and all the parts for 700 bucks cdn tomorrow. So the 5 speed conversion is a go. I will keep you all posted on what happens. Thanks
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

If it's any consolation, the Hold light was flashing on my ex's MS8 for like 2 years! probably still is! :D :D :D
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0
pcperez83

Post by pcperez83 »

well turns out the manual tranny was in **** condition and all the other parts were missing. So the guy lied to me so i didn't buy. I guess i'm stuck with auto... untill something else comes around. :( :( :( :(
Andrew_Pakula

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

That's too bad, keeping looking around you should be able to find another one.
pcperez83

Post by pcperez83 »

i would really like to but i don't know what exactly i need and i don't know wether i have the skillzs to do it, plus i dont wanna pay a mechanic because they are rip off artists.
neverenuff
Supporting Member

Post by neverenuff »

Listen I had same problem with my old RS. I would say if you stoped driving it after it stoped shifting you might not have damaged the tranny to much well it's the coil packs that get damaged. the way to find out is to just replace filter, fluid, and gasket from the tranny it should'nt cost more that 20.00$ USD if you do it your self and it is a relativly easy job. If after changing that, the trans is'nt back to normal you have damaged the coil packs and well that means you must rebuild or replace tranny. hope that helps good luck.
pcperez83

Post by pcperez83 »

definitly something i'll look in to! thanks man.

Return to “Transmissions”