Automatic Transmission Problems

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
Santos

Automatic Transmission Problems

Post by Santos »

Hi.<p>I've got a 93 MX-3 GS, Automatic which now needs a replacement transmission. <p>After reading through some of the messages on this website, this appears to be a common problem.<p>I've been quoted between 2500 to 3000 to get a rebuilt transmission put in.<p>If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I'd rather get a Standard Transmission put in, or an MX-6 auto transmission put in. <p>Does anybody know somebody here in Vancouver that could do this kind of work?<p>Also, I heard the Automatic Transmission in the MX-3 was designed and built by Ford. Any truth to that? That would explain the quality.
Andrew_Pakula

Re: Automatic Transmission Problems

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

$3000 is too expensive.<p>It should be closer to $1800-$2300 for a rebuild including labour.
Aston Wards

Post by Aston Wards »

No, as far as I know, nothing of Mazda's was ever designed by Ford, they just pay bills!
91 Eunos Presso KF-ZE
89 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+2
90 Nissan 300ZX TT 2+0

Post by Guest »

if i were in your position id shop around for a mx3 that has been in an accident, people will let those go for 2000 or less. That way you get your tranny and a parts car.<p>I think mazda just shares there technology with ford for different reasons, doesnt mean it wasnt built in a ford factory. I wish mazda would have found a better partner, its like the difference between digital and anolog.<p>[ March 13, 2003: Message edited by: sureshiit ]</p>
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

the transmission is designed by a CO. called JATCO. they suck, that's about all you need to know about them as a CO, lol. Can't remember who actually assembles them, but I think it could be Nissan or somebody off the wall. Still, it's design flaws, not build flaws that hender the F4LA-EF, and all its cousins, a burden on the ATX community. After I finish checking the messages in here, I'm gonna see if we have a FAQ, and if not, grab a good one we should be able to adopt.
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com

Return to “Transmissions”