auto to 5spd swap

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
jordanmx3

auto to 5spd swap

Post by jordanmx3 »

what do i have to do electronicly to get this car started,i read something about jumping two wires,what the hell does that mean.that was for a mx6,i heard someone did the swap on a mx3 i need very good instructions on how to do this.and another thing do i need the radiator out of a 5spd because the auto radiator has the trans cooler lines.any info would help thanks edwin
Q187

Re: auto to 5spd swap

Post by Q187 »

Let me know if you need the parts. I have all the parts that are needed for the swap and i'll sell them for a good price. Email me<p>quaz187@yahoo.com
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

the inhibitor switch needs to be jumped and the auto ecu must be retained. the performance isnt as good as the 5 speed ecu but close enough. keep the radiator and cap off the lines. i have done this conversion and it is very time consuming-- and i had a lift.
check this site for some pics
www.colonelsmazdamx3.freeservers.com
DRAG SPEC MX3 BEING PARTED OUT.
BUY ALL MY STUFF OR DIE.lol, SERIOUSLY BUY MY STUFF. PLEEEASE
jordanmx3

Post by jordanmx3 »

why do i need to keep the automatic ecu.plus what is that imobl thing your talking about.and i have a v6
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Check the part # on the v6 ECU and yours. USually there is a piggy back ECU for the Auto tranny.
Daniel''s 93 GS had an ATCU for the auto tranny.
If I can get in touch with him, I'll ask if he had to retain his.
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

there is no piggy back ecu. one PCM and you have to retain it.. the harness wil have to be changed if you dont.. sensors are different on engine from auto to 5 speed models. ive been there its not fun trying to convert it...
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Yes there is, there is a ATCM located near the ecu.
http://www.mx-3.com/95-manual/index.cfm<p>Refer to k-109, you'll see it there,<p>[ February 24, 2003: Message edited by: Custommx3 ]</p>
georgechicken

Post by georgechicken »

I have successfully completed this swap on a 92 GS... I believe I was one of the first to do so, too... anyways... the ECU on a manual and automatic GS are the same. the auto uses an auxiliary computer to control the tranny, called the ATCU (automatic transaxle control unit). you keep this in the car. (its under the radio area)... theres a few electrical changes you need to make.. and to the comment that the swapped GS performs under the non-swapped manual.. I disagree.. my swapped GS actually felt slightly stronger to any of my manual GS's... (I've had 4 GS's, 3 of which were manuals.... yes, my swapped one was my quickest/strongest)... anyways.. if you have any questions, email me privately at georgechicken@yahoo.com ...
--Maybe the Hippopotamus was just a really cool Apotamus.--
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

there is only one pcm for this vehicle trust me. i have had the whole dash out of this thing and there is only one control unit of any sort. the atcm is actually the pcm. if you check this page i have detailed photos of the control module with nothing else around it. on that page u linked me to it even uses the engine signal montitor to test it.<p>http://www.colonelsmazdamx3.freeservers.com/photo.html.<p>pics near the bottom.... and that unit your reffering to under the radio that i have a pic of is the pcm, it controls all.
georgechicken

Post by georgechicken »

I'm guessing that you (boostedmx) have an RS, also.. the 92-93 RS models had the ATCU built into the ECU. 94+ RS models, and all GS models had seperate ATCU's from the ECU.
--Maybe the Hippopotamus was just a really cool Apotamus.--
boostedmx

Post by boostedmx »

ahhhhhhhh, sounds right. sorry for the confusion. ive never worked on the wiring of a gs or 94 and up mx3. cool, learn somethin new everyday :D
masonholmes
Supporting Member

Post by masonholmes »

If you don't get all you need from George, (figure ya will ;) ), go to ProbeTalk and check out the ATX group forum. Yes, the swaps they have FAQ's on are for PGT's, MX6's etc, but it will give you all the main info you need to know/think about. Just might have to trace a few MX3 specific wires and such. My mechanic in SC can do the swap on a PGT in 13 hours, in and running like new, reverse lights and neutral safety operational. (nearly the same exact swap as an MX3GS ATX-MTX) You just don't want to jump into it blindly. Of course it also helps to have the ATX and MTX car sitting side by side. Good luck.
1993 MX-3 ~ SE * 2.5L Swap'd
1993 RX-7 ~ Rotary Performance Built
1996 MX-5 ~ M-Edition * Topless, Daily Driver

masonholmes@hotmail.com
jordanmx3

Post by jordanmx3 »

this message is for george,dude whats up with your email address i tried to email you but it said you dont have an account with them

Return to “Transmissions”