Strange Happenings ?

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
GregoryChristian
Supporting Member

Strange Happenings ?

Post by GregoryChristian »

Tuesday morning on my way to work my engine light came on , I quickly turned down the radio and listened for any strange noises coming from under the hood and kept my eyes on the temp gauge about 10 min later the light goes off , Wednesday the engine light comes on again at almost the same point as the day before while driving down the same street and does not go off until I get to work , so Thursday I am thinking that maybe I hit a bump or pothole in the road or something and decide to take 1 street over from my usual route and sure enough it comes on once again at the same area and eventually goes off .... the strange thing is that it never came on when returning home from work the same 3 days ....is that strange or what ?
psneddon

Re: Strange Happenings ?

Post by psneddon »

Just them Mazda gremlins I suppose :) Maybee the earths magnetic field or something :) Sorry I have no serious answers, but will be interesting to know exactly why its coming on?

Paul
Typhoonk

Post by Typhoonk »

which light goes off? the cel light, or the temperature warning light?
I'd get the codes from the cars computer and see what's up
-------------------------------------------------------
Got to sell one of my cars to cover the bills
2002 Mazda Protege 5 - Manual, Blue colour fully loaded
PM for info
mykel78

Post by mykel78 »

Sounds like what mine was doing when the O2 Sensor was getting flaky. Just an idea for you. Before jumping to any conclusion, check your codes. It's been explained many times before, just use the Search key and you'll find out.
Good luck and good times...
If not broke - don't fix, modify. If broke - fix it right, and make it better.
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

The transient nature of your CEL does sound like a possible O2 sensor going bad but agree that ya should check for codes first. Partially clogged EGR w/carbon buildup could also cause this.
MarkMoore

Post by MarkMoore »

I know we don't really need another person concurring here, but the first thing i thought too, was the oxygen sensor. Had to replace mine after having similar occurences. Oh yea, and what they said, check the code before employing the old trial and error method of replacing parts.
1992 GS/RS Mutant Automatic

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”