Tranny: It goes clunk clunk brrrrrr clunk...

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
Shades

Tranny: It goes clunk clunk brrrrrr clunk...

Post by Shades »

Well, my car has screwed itself.<p>I got a mechanic to look at it, but without taking it apart he thinks that it's the tranny or differential gear that is missing some teeth inside... not good.<p>I need to get some work on my transmition.<p>First off how hard is it to take off myself?...
Second, should I get a rebuild mine, or buy a used one?...
Thirdly, I know this is gonna be costly. But how much do you think approximately is it gonna run?
Forthly, does anyone know anyone good in Coquitlam or someone who can get me a deal?<p>Thanks for your help... :D
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
RoundTop

Re: Tranny: It goes clunk clunk brrrrrr clunk...

Post by RoundTop »

This is my exp when my tranny went on my '85 RX-7, so YMMV...but expect the following..<p>You don't want to even think of trying to "repair" your transmission. if it has been slipping gears badly, then you need to replace the gears..the labour alone to crack open the tranny would make it the same getting a used tranny.<p>To get the tranny out it a fair amount of labour. The car pretty much HAS to go on a lift and then it is dropped out. (Hint: Due to design, this is a good time to get someone to check your clutch disc as it is located in this area of the car... and getting it replaced is dead simple if the tranny is out. The might do it for no labour charge (happenned for me when I was getting my RX-7's tranny replaced).<p>The cost will be probably getting close to $1000 or so I think. Keep in mind.. labour will eat up about half that. It ain't fun to replace a tranny.<p>Oh yeah, and don't drive it until it blows completely.. my countershaft snapped while I was going 120 on the I-5 just north of seattle. Luckily my main shaft was still intact.. but ever tried starting from 4th? Not fun..not fun at all.
sapper

Post by sapper »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> ever tried starting from 4th? Not fun..not fun at all.
<hr></blockquote><p>roflmao!<p>Thats awsome! I love that! Its a good thing out tranny's are VERY forgiving. If I tried that in my g/f's 2002 VW Jetta, I think her car would explode after it hopped, jumped, skipped flew across the block through the air boged out hit the neighbours dog and rammed into a telephone pole. I tell ya VW trannies are HARSH when you **** up. <p>I've never tried starting in 4th gear, but I have in third (Some how it ended up their instead of first!?!?!) and that was bad enough!<p>[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: sapper ]</p>
I saw a street sign yesterday that said Caution! Children playing! so I slowed down. Then I thought Wait! I'm not afraid of children!
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

DUDE!! Dont waste your money rebulding the tranny! I have the same problem...My 3rd gear is gone...synco. They told me it would be min $1500 just to take it appart plus parts and taxes. plus they only cover it for one year! I just picked up a used one for $300...mx-6 with 57 000 KM. IT would be better to buy one used. I was planning on doing my own, replacing the clutch and flywheel at the same time. From what i hear its pretty easy to get in and out...the hard part is you have to remove a lot of stuff to get the tranny out. We should have a tranny swaping party! :D
Shades

Post by Shades »

Kewl, yeah someone suggested I get a used one...<p>Who's gonna go to the wreckers with me?... is anyone doing a run?

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

I was told by the Tranny Shop to buy a used one and not to waste my time on rebuilting it!. the cheapest place is a-best under the patullo bridge...they asked for $300 plus taxes for my v6. I called around and they had the best price and the one with the lowest KMS. there #604-580-3303.
monstar-mx-3

Post by monstar-mx-3 »

any luck with that tranny?
Shades

Post by Shades »

Yeah I got the tranny... I got a used one installed... $1200 later.<p>I needed it ASAP as I now live in Langley and worked in Coquitlam and needed my car back.<p>Now just awaiting my body kit... :D

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”