New exhaust...

A forum for MX-West Car Club Related Topics. MX-West has two Chapters;, the original is in Vancouver, British Columbia, and the second is in Calgary, Alberta.
Shades

New exhaust...

Post by Shades »

My exhaust has a hole... yay. I'm probably gonna get one sometime this month and want to know what is good?<P>Will a performance exhaust give me more horses? I also want a quiet exhaust... can't stand those ones that sound like Harley Davidsons.<P>Also how much does a performance exhaust run me versus a normal one?
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
MX-West Car Club

Re: New exhaust...

Post by MX-West Car Club »

I've got a Ractive dual tip exhaust and like it alot. You'll get a few more horses, maybe a max of 10hp. You'll need to have a resonator to keep the sound of the exhaust down. It will depend on where you go to get the exhaust, you'll probably be looking at least $180 and up for a universal exhaust. Don't forget to add the cost of having it installed. There's also custom piping most of us have done.
Kevin Gee - President
MX-West Car Club
93 White MX-3 1.6RS
www.mx-west.com
Jack_Frost

Post by Jack_Frost »

yes, but your exhaust can sound like a harley! Though true...it doesn't have a resonator.<P>A more open exhaust will reduce back pressure and thus give you some more power...though take too much pressure off (straight pipe) and you apparently can lose torque...it's a toss-up. My exhaust is much too quiet...i need to change it, specially if i'm going with the ze.<P>Looking back, I replaced my exhaust before i knew about the performance stuff, so i stuck stock. I would now go for a larger pipe and a better muffler.
MX-West Car Club

Post by MX-West Car Club »

Yeah, without a resonator when I go full throttle it will sound as loud as a harley. I still have the option to add one if I wanted to. I've gone with 2.25" piping on my exhaust from the cat. I think it was about 2.25" - 2.5" pipe that would give you the best results.
Kevin Gee - President
MX-West Car Club
93 White MX-3 1.6RS
www.mx-west.com
Jack_Frost

Post by Jack_Frost »

^gets some nice power out of his exhaust. I definately recommend the pipe, the muffler may not be for you, but you could always hear it and decide for yourself.<P>His setup works quite nicely.<p>[ July 03, 2002: Message edited by: Jack_Frost ]

Return to “MX-West Car Club (Vancouver, BC / Calgary, AB)”