Automatic Vs 5 speed manual....

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
mazdaspeed002

Automatic Vs 5 speed manual....

Post by mazdaspeed002 »

Hows it going guys. I didnt know what forum to post this in so i'm gunna post it here. I know this may be a stupid question but i was reading a previous forum about a guy wanting info on a race between a lexus IS 300 and his Klze mx-3. One of the responses said something along the lines of the lexus will win because it will hold more true HP to the wheels because it has an auto tranny. I have always understood that a car with a manual tranny will have the advantage against a automatic. So what is the true answer? Manual or auto for a track race? <P>I'd appreciate any enlightenment on the subject.<P>Thanks<P>Tom
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Re: Automatic Vs 5 speed manual....

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

You read that thread wrong. They were both automatic cars. And stick has the advantage in a race. Hope this helps.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
MAZDASPEED STEVE

Post by MAZDASPEED STEVE »

In a case like ours, yes the stick would have the advantage. but remember nothing shifts faster than an automatic. Most funny cars and drag cars are equipped with autos(beef up, and hurst slap shifters) in that case a manual tranny wouldn't stand a chance. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
THANX
MAZDASPEED
STEVE
MX3RS

Post by MX3RS »

and with forced induction, such as a turbo, the automatic will be faster since you never take your foot off the gas and always keep the boost built up between shits.
mazdaspeed002

Post by mazdaspeed002 »

Thanks a lot for the info. You say auto is an advatage with forced induction, jsut turbo or with SC aswell? I'm planning on going either KL-ZE with out Forced Induction or Kl-DE with Forced Induction (S/C). What your saying about not taking your foot off the gas is very logical. So basically if i go KL-ZE i should stick with 5 speed and if i go with forced induction go auto. Thanks a lot<P>Tom
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mazdaspeed002:<BR><STRONG>Thanks a lot for the info. You say auto is an advatage with forced induction, jsut turbo or with SC aswell? I'm planning on going either KL-ZE with out Forced Induction or Kl-DE with Forced Induction (S/C). What your saying about not taking your foot off the gas is very logical. So basically if i go KL-ZE i should stick with 5 speed and if i go with forced induction go auto. Thanks a lot<P>Tom</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Its really not that simple, if you were going to go with forced induction on a ZE, you would seriously have to beef up any auto tranny thats gonna fit the mx. You're talkin 4000 bucks to get a tranny to handle the power you produce
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
mazdaspeed002

Post by mazdaspeed002 »

I didnt say i was going to SC the KL-ZE. I said i was going to go WITHOUT forced induction on the KL-ZE and WITH forced induction on a KL-DE.
MX3RS

Post by MX3RS »

Its not really necessary to go with an auto with a S/C since it doesnt loose boost when you get off the gas. Well actually it depends on what kind of S/C you have since if its centrifigal then its basically a belt driven turbo and then you will have lag and have to build boost back up just like with a turbo.
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MX3RS:<BR><STRONG>and with forced induction, such as a turbo, the automatic will be faster since you never take your foot off the gas and always keep the boost built up between shits.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>More importantly, you get boost off the launch when you powerbrake. Grand Nationals are an excellent example. The guys who swap them to 5spds are slower in the 1/4, cause they may put down more power, but you have lag due to no engine load @ launch, whereas brake torquing an automatic creates load, and with good brakes you can have full boost @ the launch.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
mazdaspeed002

Post by mazdaspeed002 »

so, david, you're saying its better to go with auot with a SC system? If you say its better then i'm going with auto since you know alot of fact.
MX3RS

Post by MX3RS »

No David and I are saying that its better to go with an auto with a turbo system. An S/C system has boost all the time since its run directly off the engine via a belt unlike the turbo. You give the motor gas and the S/C is making boost right away. Get the picture?
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

Way back in the dark ages of 1986-7, the Buick Grand National X (GNX), running a constant link supercharger came off the showroom floor touted as the most powerful domestic car you could buy from the dealer in the US.<BR>The Calloway twin turbo Corvette also came out that year. A modified Vette, but available as a stock option from any dealer.<BR>Hot Rod magazine just had to see who had it for real. The numbers were close, but the kicker was this: The GNX had an automatic, & the Vette had a stick.<BR>Whenever the Vette shifted, it lost boost due to having to let off the gas for the shift & the RPM build up. The auto made the GNX maintain a more stable boost level throughout it's run making for a more consistant pull. At the end of the quarter every time, the GNX beat the Vette.<BR>Dunno how many of y'all know about the Calloway Vette, but for that time, it was a damn scary car. Calloway would get the Vettes from Chevy, refit them, & sell them to dealers as a stock option. For a stock production Buick to beat it flat out was amazing.<P>The verdict for us? Depending on your setup, it all depends on what you want to spend & what works for you. I like em bolth. For off-road or enduro, Manual all the way. Day to day driving or drag racing, give me a hardened auto every time.<P>But then thas jus me. ;)
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Just because something goes 1/4 mile in a fraction of a second slower tells nothing of how fun or not fun it is to drive. 1G Miatas are a blast, and they're high 16 second cars. Keep that in mind....
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
Sean Mandell

Post by Sean Mandell »

Dave I couldn't have said it better myself but miata's are even more fun with turbos. :D <P>In my opinion there is more to driving then the 1/4 mile. I live my life like pikes peak.<P> ;)
"A hero and a coward both feel fear but it is the hero who reacts first while the coward hides behind the hero"
Freq2002

Post by Freq2002 »

Clear summer day, Mulholand Highway in the Malibu hills,... THAT is some fun driving. <BR>The point I was making is that depending on your driving & what you have, either tranny could work. It's more about whats works for you.<BR>Now if I could get a lower ring & pinion in my auto,... Would take care of that sluggish start. :D
The contents of this post are the opinions of myself and are NEVER meant to be percieved as the "be all, end all". So cram it!! :p

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”