Question About Shifting

A forum for Drag Strip/Track Racing Discussions. (NO Street Racing or Kill Stories, they WILL be deleted.)
finchuck

Question About Shifting

Post by finchuck »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but after the first race in the Fast and the Furious, when Dom beats Brian, Dom says you were "granny shifting when you should have been double clutching." What is double clutching? I just got my manual and I'm not too great at it yet and I was wondering what this means?
<A HREF="http://www.finchuck.com" TARGET=_blank>Finchuck Online</A>
Bri94GS

Re: Question About Shifting

Post by Bri94GS »

It's a riceboy term...why any1 would put the clutch down after they're in gear is beyond me. Not good for your clutch, plus you'd lose time being in nuetral...<P>Power shifting is when u don't let your foot off the gas while shifting...maybe he meant that...
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
93mxrgs

Post by 93mxrgs »

ya and when thier looking at brians car they say that he has a fogger, and direct port LOL, what the f--- gives ????
Black-93 mx-3 Gs-R<BR>with goodies :) :)<BR>Hondas suck, and yes i race them...<BR>oops i mean no no i dont
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 93mxrgs:<BR><STRONG>ya and when thier looking at brians car they say that he has a fogger, and direct port LOL, what the f--- gives ????</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Brian also shifts 7 times when he's speed testing his car in the first (you see 5 shifts in the car, and hear 2 BOV's outside the car)<P>It's a damn movie<P>BTW it's a direct port fogger system. You prolly thought that the fogger system was build for the dry/wet applications, but it is used as a direct port application.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bri94GS:<BR><STRONG><BR> It's a riceboy term...why any1 would put the clutch down after they're in gear is beyond me. Not good for your clutch, plus you'd lose time being in nuetral...<P>Power shifting is when u don't let your foot off the gas while shifting...maybe he meant that...</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Isn't double clutching when you go from 1st to 3rd to 5th? That's what I was told, but I really have no idea.<p>[ January 03, 2002: Message edited by: VizualXTC ]
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
TonioDLR

Post by TonioDLR »

This link has a little explaination of Double Shifting. Just under the second image. Read the whole thing though, you may learn a thing or two. I sure did.<BR><A HREF="http://null" TARGET=_blank>null</A><A HREF="http://www.howstuffworks.com/transmission2.htm" TARGET=_blank>How things work (transmissions)</A>
Before you criticize someone, you should drive a mile in their wheels. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their wheels.
finchuck

Post by finchuck »

thats cool thanks a lot<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TonioDLR:<BR><STRONG>This link has a little explaination of Double Shifting. Just under the second image. Read the whole thing though, you may learn a thing or two. I sure did.<BR><A HREF="http://null" TARGET=_blank>null</A><A HREF="http://www.howstuffworks.com/transmission2.htm" TARGET=_blank>How things work (transmissions)</A></STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
<A HREF="http://www.finchuck.com" TARGET=_blank>Finchuck Online</A>
TonioDLR

Post by TonioDLR »

No prob.. Now, if someone could answer that granny shifting question that would be great.
Before you criticize someone, you should drive a mile in their wheels. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their wheels.
Bri94GS

Post by Bri94GS »

I did answer your question...<P>I find it funny that "Brian's" Eclipse was really an Eclipse GS (high 15/low16 sec) n/a car in real life. Remember when his floorboard somehow fell off? Where did Dom put his feet when he hopped in the car? Were they Flintstone'ing it??? It's funny how kids base their entire racing lives on a movie that has so many mistakes and riceboy terms in it..hehe
~Bri - Morph860@aol.com
'94 MX-3 GS (FOR SALE!)
'04 Mazda 3s 5-door
zoom-zoom
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i was wondering the same thing about the floorboard. i've yet to see anyone lose a floorboard racing. they must have replaced it really quick when they replaced the piston rings he fried. cause i don't see how it's smoking and barely running, then he picks up dom, his feet don't fall through and the car runs perfect. also, when they were looking at the cars, how could he tell he had "enough nos to blow himself up" when non-acting ja-rule never looked inside the car.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
mattster

Post by mattster »

even better... in the fast and furious, in the end when the jump the railroad tracks, his windshield wipers are on... whats up that?<P> :p
92 Mazda MX-3 GS: blaze red, bone stock, and daily driver
86 RX-7 GXL: '94 LT1 V8, 6 speed tranny, scary fast. SOLD
93 Mazda RX7 R1 LS1/6speed... 75% complete

http://www.cardomain.com/id/mattsterrx7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
^link to my V8 swap page
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

also, when they jump the tracks. play it in slow motion and you can see where they overlapped the the film. you see one set of broken cross arms and one set of normal ones. also. the train disappears and then reappears.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
TonioDLR

Post by TonioDLR »

I saw the wipers come on too. There could be a logical explanation for that though. A small detail that would be useless in a movie anyway. As their cars jumped over the flat set of track,ha ha , his hand may have hit the wiper switch. Just an idea
Esper

Post by Esper »

Double clutching is NOT a "riceboy term"...thanks TonioDLR for that great link on how to explain it. my gripe with F&F is: why did they want to put Nissan SR20DE engines in civics? yeah, its a good engine, but so is the B18C. why not put something in that bolts right up? oh well, the movie is still entertaining.
Dude.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Dont you all think that Fast and the Furious would have been a better movie if you didn't know d--- about cars? Also if you really want to get sceptical, Brians eclipse is a 7 speed when he speed runs it in the first. Good hell, it's a damn movie.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i agree, if i didn't know a damn thing about cars, it would have been a better movie. but i still like it none-the-less. what i want to know is: how come the most impressive car(my opinion) there didn't get any recognition? i mean come on. a rhd skyline gtr? and everyone's staring at the supra and rx7? don't get me wrong, both of those cars are just sick, but over a skyline?
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics

Return to “Drag Strip/Track Racing”