Something you really should check!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
RanMan

Something you really should check!

Post by RanMan »

Have any of you ever looked closely at your throttle cable? If not, then you need to check this out. You could be losing power and throttle response!!! Make sure that the Throttle cable is tight (leave a little slack, but not much). If your throttle cable is loose, then your throttle body cannot open to Wide Open Throttle (WOT). I was buffing the headlights on Zoom24's car and I noticed that there was some slack in the throttle cable (I'd say there was probably about 1/4 inch of slack). I took two wrenches and backed off the nuts from the bracket and then took the slack out. Be sure to leave just a little slack or else your idle will be higher. This little trick (that took a whole of 5 minutes to do) made a noticable difference at WOT and also gave me a little increase in throttle response. As you press the accelerator further and further, the car will pull strong and then will level off just at tad a little after the half-way mark, until you hit WOT, then you get an extra burst. At least this is what happened to Zoom24's car after I adjusted it. It had always pulled hard, but it did not seem to make much difference from the half-way point of the throttle up until WOT. Now, it pulls at WOT. I am not sure how many of you have loose throttle cables, but it is worth taking the time to check it out and tightening it if needed. If your car's idle increases, then you have it too tight, back it off until the idle is back to normal again. Let me know if this helps any of you too.
xeffex

Re: Something you really should check!

Post by xeffex »

Thanks for the insight! I'll check that out tomorrow. Lookin' forward to the meet!!<P>
Jordan<BR>1994 White RS

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”