rear wiper arm

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
kevron

rear wiper arm

Post by kevron »

cant figure out how to get this thing off. mine is rusty as hell. did the front arms already need help figureing out how to get the back one off. if anyone has done this or has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Re: rear wiper arm

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

I don't have the rear wiper on mine but accd. to my 95 shop manual, it appears that you need to flip up the base-end/bottom of the wiper arm which appears to have a pin-type hinge point approx. 1"-1.5" up from the base-end. If this part of the wiper arm is too corroded to flip up the base-end, apply a penetrating fluid like Liquid Wrench. Better still, use PB Blaster (available at many autopart stores now incl. Advanced Auto Parts) which dissolves rust & penetrates corrosion better than anything else I've seen. Whatever ya use, might need a couple apps and overnight to sit. This should allow the base-end to be flipped up & expose the connector shaft nut. Remove that nut and lift the arm straight off the shaft. Don't twist it or you risk stripping the knurled part of the shaft or the mated knurled inner surface of the wiper arm base. Use more penetrating fluid if needed. Easily stripped knurled ends are a Mazda weakness & common risk with all Mazda wiper arms & shafts I've encountered on several diff models. If that happens, replacements can be insanely priced from Mazda (what isn't?) When replacing the arm, first wire-brush the connector shaft and the mated inner surface of the arm to ensure a smooth tight fit. Hope that helps ya out. :)
kevron

Post by kevron »

thanks ill try that tomorrow
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hmm thats strange..am I supposed to have a wiper arm?? I dont see one but yet I see the resevoir in the hatch area.. and I see no where where the wiper arm would go..
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Split Sixer

Post by Split Sixer »

yea i wanna get ride of my rear wiper. something is messed with it anyways it wont perform it's job properly :roll: but i am stuck on what to do with the hole i was thnking of making a fiberglass plug but i donno
Splixer
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Originally posted by hgallegos915:
hmm thats strange..am I supposed to have a wiper arm?? I dont see one but yet I see the resevoir in the hatch area.. and I see no where where the wiper arm would go..
They were standard on the GS models. Is yours a GS? Some ppl remove em if/when they stop working or to remove the excess weight of the rear wiper motor etc., and then they put a plug in the hole for the wiper arm shaft in the rear hatch. (toward driver side I think).

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”