Stillen metal matrix or KVR?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
SIXPACK

Post by SIXPACK »

Hi whats the best brake pad of these two?

/SIXPACK
Black '92 GS - Pacesetter QuickShift w. SRD Extension rod Bushing + bronzoil - Top Speed Pro1 exhaust - Hotshot style headers - GTS coilovers - 18" ADR Sokudo gunmetal, f+r strutbar, floorbar & SRD crossmember
SIXPACK

Re: Stillen metal matrix or KVR?

Post by SIXPACK »

I read some different peoples comments about these pads and generally people think that metal matrix is only a little better than oem pads and generates a great del of dust. KVR uses carbon fibre and works great when it gets warm and generates less dust and is also less expensive :2thumbsup:

/SIXPACK
Black '92 GS - Pacesetter QuickShift w. SRD Extension rod Bushing + bronzoil - Top Speed Pro1 exhaust - Hotshot style headers - GTS coilovers - 18" ADR Sokudo gunmetal, f+r strutbar, floorbar & SRD crossmember
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

I can only say DONT buy the KVR brake pads!

I used them with some Cross Drilled Rotors,And they were to soft "Discs got worn uneven" so lines appered on the discs in the areas around the holes...

Swapped to a better pad and the discs got back to a mirrorlike even wear all around the disc :mad:

And if you file them so they fit,they get stuck again later-on because of rust :confused:
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

I have KVR brake pads in the front and have had no problems at all. I havent had a rotor warp or wobble. My rotors are drilled and havent noticed anything odd about the look of the rotor. I just bought a set of KVR brake pads for the rear as well.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Originally posted by Dennis Jørgensen:
I can only say DONT buy the KVR brake pads!

I used them with some Cross Drilled Rotors,And they were to soft "Discs got worn uneven" so lines appered on the discs in the areas around the holes...

Swapped to a better pad and the discs got back to a mirrorlike even wear all around the disc :mad:

And if you file them so they fit,they get stuck again later-on because of rust :confused:
Kinda sounds like you didnt get the right pads. Maybe thats why you got uneven wear?
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Didnt say that the pads warped my rotors or anything like that...
just said that they were the cause of lines in my discs "my guess,because they were to soft"

Changed to some better pads,and after a few monts of driving the new pads had my discs looking good again :D

And it was the right kind of pads,but just enough out of spec to cause the pads to get stuck in the caliber instead of beeing able to slide probertly as i should...

Ehmm but as i remember i only think it was the rear pads that were badly stamped out,front ones fit ok but they were still to soft :D
1992 MX-3 V6 Z1 Arbet VIII 17 x 8" -35mm Proracing Springs on KYB Sports, Corksport Strutbars, Brembo Cross Drilled & Slotted, Goodridge SS Brakelines, Corksport SS Clutchline, Mazdaspeed Enginemounts & Front arm bushings, All SRD bushings in shifterlinkage and cross member, Pacesetter Shortshifter, KN Conefilter, Custom SS Exhaust, Stereo Oldschool Goodies Denon & Phoenix Gold, Boston Pro & Cerwin Vega and lots of other small goodies
SIXPACK

Post by SIXPACK »

what pads do you use now Dennis?

/SIXPACK
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Im using frem or fremy something like that on the rear ones they fit SUPER and very good paintjob on the metalparts of the pad "so they wont get stuck in rust"

For the front ones you could use numerus diffrent kind of pads,"you really dont have to import them"

I you want some soft performance pads,go in to BileXperten and get the Greensomething (cant remember the brandname) but you probertly know of them :D

They do by the way only manufacture the front set..
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

I'm guessing you mean the EBC award winning pads?!? Supposedly they are some of the best. The EBC Green Stuff pads are for street mainly. Where as the Red Stuff pads are more for the track. They can be purchased from www.tirerack.com
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

I`m using the EBC greenstuff now with my oem rotors. Guess I`m gonna buy some Black Diamond rotors and Ferodo Racing pads.

nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

hawk pads with brembo rotors are the only way to go.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
DJsMX-3

Post by DJsMX-3 »

Yeah i recently lokked through a old Carmagazine and i belive it was the EBC Greensomething brakepads LOL But still Sixpack you can get those right here in the god old DK ;)

Oh and Gro are you talking of regular brembodiscs? or the crossdrilled/slotted ones from Sportbrakes??

<small>[ March 08, 2004, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Dennis Jørgensen ]</small>
Street-Import
Supporting Member

Post by Street-Import »

I use Akebono Pro-Act ceramic brake pads, they are a little pricy around 90$US for the front or rear... but they dont make any brake dust almost...
Roadracer_X

Post by Roadracer_X »

Well I'm running the KVR pads and they kick the crap out of the Stillen pads. I work at a road course so I have abused both types on a regular basis and the Stillen pads would fade after only six laps. The KVR's kept braking hard with no fade,and they haven't produced any bad rotor wear either.
Why go only a quarter of a mile when you can take the road course and go all the way!
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

i've never heard of a brembo rotor warping, whether it be a blank or slotted or drilled or a combination of either. EBC pads are overpriced and overrated, there are better choices for the money.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”