Broken front spring with complications - what do I do?

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
Mastiff

Broken front spring with complications - what do I do?

Post by Mastiff »

My wife came home today with a surprise for me: A 4-5 inch long part of the left front spring broken off! And worse: One and a half coil of the rest of the spring has gone below the cup (is that the correct word?). I have a 1993 stock, and no aspirations as to do any street racing, I love the handling and the style of the car, but I don't really need high performance parts. Could I jack the car up and pull the spring back in some way, and then cut the right spring to the same height, or is that just stupid? And if I need a new one I would have to order online since Mazda in Norway are ridiculous with parts prices (I got both driveshafts from Discount Auto Parts for less then half of what one shaft costs in Norway - and that was with customs and shipping!) but I can't find any shops that carry them. Discount does not, if not I would have ordered from them.

Can someody please tell me what I should do? I can take a picture of the spring and upload that if it helps. Thanks in advance!

<small>[ February 20, 2004, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Mastiff ]</small>
Tor the Mazda Viking
Mastiff

Re: Broken front spring with complications - what do I do?

Post by Mastiff »

Woi, scratch that! I need a new spring (two, it's probably silly just to change one). I squeezed the spring to get it off the side of the cup and found almost one whole coil there. So there's about noe and a quarter coil gone. So where do I get affordable springs, people? :(
Tor the Mazda Viking
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

i have all 4 stock springs available if you need em. $15 for all.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

Wow! Now that's the silliest question I've heard so far! :D Of course! Providing they're OK and will give me some miles, of course. I take it you have changed to racing springs on your car?

I'm sending you a PM, then we can take this off the thread.
Tor the Mazda Viking
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

yes these are the RS springs and were taken off at around 111,000 miles. i have 3 front springs and two rear.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

You've got mail on the address in the forum. :)
Tor the Mazda Viking
Tyler17rose

Post by Tyler17rose »

I'm fairly sure there was a recall on front springs. Might wana check that out before paying for some used ones.
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
back alley

Post by back alley »

i had the front shocks on my '92 gs replaced free of charge on that recall. mazda dealer did it with no real problems. i'm not even the original owner and it was the second set that they replacd for free.
Mastiff

Post by Mastiff »

Unfortunately my car is a grey import, imported by the local Mazda dealer from Germany. So Mazda Norway denies all responsibility for the car, and it took me several months to get the dealer to replace a headlight and a broken piston ring that were broken when I got it! I had to go to the Automotive Association of Norway and threaten with a lawyer to get the ring fixed! Grrrrrr....
Tor the Mazda Viking
odds1

Post by odds1 »

Hey, I have two front springs and two rear ones.
And I live In Stavanger, Norway. Interested?
Odds, Norway
Red `93 GS, Stock

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”