Mazdaspeed Sway Bar

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
JasonH

Mazdaspeed Sway Bar

Post by JasonH »

Does the Mazdaspeed rear sway bar come with new bushings? Does it come with anything else?<p>The Whiteline is 22mm. What size is the Mazdaspeed?<p>Does anybody make adjustable rear swaybars for the MX-3?
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Mazdaspeed Sway Bar

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

your talking about the bar thats underneath the car or the one thats on the top of the strut towers and goes across the trunk?
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

The bar attached to the suspension under the car is the sway bar. That's what I'm talking about.<p>The thing on top is the strut tower brace (or strut bar, I suppose) and I don't believe Mazdaspeed currently has one for the MX-3. If they do and I don't know about it, let me know. I would definitely pick it up.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

according to corksport, MazdaSpeed does make them...i didnt know that mazdaspeed did make the one underneath..hmm...
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

id say the whiteline is better bang for your buck but only mazdaspeed makes a front one and rear. a 22mm rear bar would be great imo
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

I don't think I'll be doing the front bar. It is entirely too much work to get it out (check out the online manual page R-020) and the addition of a stiffer rear bar will probably give me the desired effect.<p>Nd4SpdSe, if you're talking about Mazdaspeed making MX-3 strut tower braces, I don't see them anywhere on the Corksport site. I know at some point a front brace was available, but I don't know where I could buy it now.
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

i think the MS rear sway comes with the bushings, and the front one doesn't. You have to order the front bar's bushings seperately, I know that for sure.<p>
I'm pretty sure the stock GS rear bar is 21mm....a 22mm would barely make a difference.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gro Harlem:
i think the MS rear sway comes with the bushings, and the front one doesn't. You have to order the front bar's bushings seperately, I know that for sure.<p>
I'm pretty sure the stock GS rear bar is 21mm....a 22mm would barely make a difference.
<hr></blockquote>
It looks like the early GS cars were 19mm and later cars got the 21mm. The Whiteline "Heavy Duty" bar is 22mm. I don't know what their regular bar is, maybe 20mm or 21mm. I emailed Corksport to find out the diameter of the Mazdaspeed rear bar. We'll see if they reply.<p>Here's a picture of the Mazdaspeed rear bar. Anybody with a Whiteline want to make an "eyeball" comparison? Whattya think? Thicker, thinner or the same?
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gro Harlem:
I'm pretty sure the stock GS rear bar is 21mm....a 22mm would barely make a difference.<hr></blockquote><p>
Oh yeah? The ST rear bar for the Protege is only 1mm thicker than the oem bar from the 92-94 Proteges...yet makes a rather nice difference.<p>keep in mind that stiffness does NOT rise linearly with thickness, but much greater than that.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
therealstasman
Supporting Member

Post by therealstasman »

Last edited by therealstasman on February 17th, 2009, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stas:
I have a Whiteline rear swaybar lying at my house, I just need to install it. I think that their thickness is the same, I've researched a bit about both swaybars before going for Whiteline. I've posted some information before, you'll be able to find it if you do a search for "whiteline swaybar." Good luck. I'll try to get a picture of whiteline swaybar and post it here.<hr></blockquote><p>Thanks. I found your post (I had read it before.) Where did you get your bar? $130 sounds like an excellent price. Did it come with new "D" bushings and end links?<p>You're pretty near me. Do you ever autocross or anything?
therealstasman
Supporting Member

Post by therealstasman »

Last edited by therealstasman on February 17th, 2009, 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nope-mx3

Post by nope-mx3 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Stas:
I have a Whiteline rear swaybar lying at my house, I just need to install it. I think that their thickness is the same, I've researched a bit about both swaybars before going for Whiteline. I've posted some information before, you'll be able to find it if you do a search for "whiteline swaybar." Good luck. I'll try to get a picture of whiteline swaybar and post it here.<hr></blockquote><p>Ah, please post impressions after install! :)
I`m considering this swaybar myself.<p>nope-mx3
:: 2001 Mazda Mx-5 Sport // 2013 Volvo V40 D2 Momentum ::
playaa

Post by playaa »

May be wrong.. but when did Mazdaspeed become SRD?
JasonH

Post by JasonH »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by playaa:
May be wrong.. but when did Mazdaspeed become SRD?<hr></blockquote><p>You're wrong. And confusing. What are you talking about?

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”