Clunking

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
kwiksurf69

Clunking

Post by kwiksurf69 »

I took my car to the shop today to get him to check out a clunking noise, when i turn at slow speeds ie: backing out of driveway,turning corners etc, he said it was my strut tower bearing, and thier expensive to fix but not that important, anyone got any ideas if this is what it is or something else? any reply is appreciated thx
-Zack
Graphixv

Re: Clunking

Post by Graphixv »

Hey, that sounds exactly like what my car does.
It's kind of a series of mechanical popping sounds when you turn hard at slow speeds.<p>I'm going to take my car in and have it checked, maybe this weekend. When I do, I'll let you know what they told me.<p>WNM
WNM
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

there could be a number of reasons that cause this... one of the main reasons that also solved my clunking problem was this:<p>i installed my coilovers and the same thing happened. so i lifted the car, put an O shaped rubber bushing between my coilover spring and bottom adjustable ring... then i put another one on the top coilover mounting cup and the strut tower cup. the problem dissapeared. weeks later, the clunking came back and i looked and the o-ring bushings came loose. you might want to try that out.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Graphixv

Post by Graphixv »

My clunking, or popping when turning the steering wheel sharply at slow speeds was apparently resolved.<p>* Two new drive shafts to replace the grinding drive bearings while turning.<p>$400.00<p>WNM
WNM
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

The clunking could be caused by a number of things<p>The one i'm thinking of is a worn Tie-rod end, but it could also be:<p>-Axle (would make a clicking while you turn and are moving)
-Balljoint (would clunk when you hit bumps in the road...you can only hear it at lower speeds)
-Swaybar endlink broke (common for our cars)
-Steering rack is worn (unlikely)
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”