Variable Suspension

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
mcnauge

Variable Suspension

Post by mcnauge »

Hey,<BR>I spent my whole year im my computers course developing a piece of software that counters the roll of a car and I need to get something that lets me raise and lower the car, I would like an air system and I don't want hydrolics but any sugguestions would be great<P>thanks
David Coleman

Re: Variable Suspension

Post by David Coleman »

If the Formula 1 guys who have more money than God decided this wasn't a good idea, it probably isnt.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
mcnauge

Post by mcnauge »

Maybe for F1 racing but for the streets it works great, In the test models I can take off all the body roll of the car and add 32km/h in the turns. Only one other car in the world had this kind of setup and it was the most advanced car in german in its day. but I intend on bringing it back to life<P>--Stealth--
abyss

Post by abyss »

You are going to be stuck with bags or somethign like that I have heard though that you can link up a nitro tank to your bags to rapidly inflate them ... Makes sense just make sure you have a good expansion chamber or else you will freeze your rubber everytime you use it. Let me know how it runs.
Jason King
pelado

Post by pelado »

Actually, F1 outlawed the active-reactive suspensions in an attempt to make the driver more responsible for the car's results rather than the car itself. Plus it was ungodly expensive and not all of the teams could afford it. I mean, really, some of the teams have only a budget of ~$50 million!!<BR>If you visit the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green, Kentucky, you will see a prototype Corvette with active suspension designed with the aid of Lotus. It stayed in the prototype stage because a production car would have been too expensive.<BR>Both F1 and the Corvette used hydraulic and not pneumatic actuators. I recall watching Nigel Mansell's helmet as he drove over the curbs in an active suspension F1 ride and his helmet scarcely moved.
KLZE, ZE PCM, UR pulley, PS catback, PS STS, PRM, IAC bypass, 64mm TB, FOP hair gel
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

i dont think it would be useful on the streets, nor cost-effective.
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
Ray

Post by Ray »

As to your information the Mercedes A class is all fitted with active suspension, the kit was EKSTRA at first, but at an test with 4-5 motor journalist the car rolled over in an easy evasive manouvre that ANY other car could do, all journalist escaped without seriously damage, but Mercedes had to recall their model and fit ALL class A with active suspension for FREE and make it standard omn the A.<BR>The A class is a small but high car.<BR>So it exist in an standard car, <BR>Best Regards<BR>Johnnie
Ray
2.5L if you try - you can't without it
ProtegeSTS

Post by ProtegeSTS »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ray:<BR><STRONG>As to your information the Mercedes A class is all fitted with active suspension, the kit was EKSTRA at first, but at an test with 4-5 motor journalist the car rolled over in an easy evasive manouvre that ANY other car could do, all journalist escaped without seriously damage, but Mercedes had to recall their model and fit ALL class A with active suspension for FREE and make it standard omn the A.<BR>The A class is a small but high car.<BR>So it exist in an standard car, <BR>Best Regards<BR>Johnnie</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>HAHAHAHAHHAHA
-93 MR2
#129 E-stock
T Biller

Post by T Biller »

The Merc. system actualy controls brakes and power, here's the infor for any who care...<P>The problem:<BR>"Rollover Crisis<BR>In November 1997, when A class was ready to deliver, a Swedish magazine rolled over the A class under test, caused injuries to the testers. In then, they were performing "ELK" test, which is commonly required in Sweden to prevent the car from knocking down big deers suddenly appears in the road. When they drove the A class at 60km/h and suddenly steered to avoid the dummy deer, the car simply overturned and crashed.   <P>This incident stunned the world, newspaper and TV news reported it extensively, not only aroused the buyers to withdraw their orders, it seriously damaged Mercedes' world-wide image as the safest cars.   <P>Management responded quickly, added fatter tyres, ESP (electronic stability programme), lowered ride height and further strengthened anti-roll bars. All were done without extra cost. As a result, the problem was solved. Meanwhile, it launched an extensive advertising program in all media to rescue its image, invited the journalists who involve the overturned incident as well as ex-F1 champion Niki Lauda to publicise how good the new car became. Mercedes lost hundreds of millions dollars in this crisis. "<P>More detail on "ESP":<P>"ESP ® stands for Electronic Stability Program. The name says it all - ESP ® stabilizes the car. Should your car threaten to go into a spin, the system jumps into action almost as if an invisible hand took over to put your car back on track safe and sound.<P>Like the Antilock Braking System (ABS), that also made its world premiere in a Mercedes, ESP ® is a milestone. For many journalists, it "just might be the greatest breakthrough" in any active safety system. ESP ® helps to stabilize a car even in extreme situations. The setting for ESP ®'s first public appearance was a frozen lake in 1995. The experts were impressed at how sure-footed the S-Class was on ice. ESP ®'s secret is an intelligent on-board computer that constantly extends its "feelers" or sensors. Whenever the danger of a spin is detected, it reacts by selectively braking the front and rear wheels and reducing or increasing engine torque. In a split second, much faster than a Formula 1 driver can react, ESP ® keeps your car on course.<P>The Electronic Stability Program provides an extra element of safety in crucial situations and significantly reduces the danger of skidding in turns. Mercedes-Benz was the first automobile manufacturer worldwide in 1995 to equip its passenger cars with ESP ®. Today, it's standard equipment on the Mercedes S 600, CL 600, SL 600, E 430, E 320 4MATIC and in the new high-performance vehicles E 55 AMG and C 43 AMG. Since February 1998, the A-Class is the first car in its category with this innovative safety system. <BR> <BR>© DaimlerChrysler, 1998"

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”