EGT stuff (need advice...)

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
Shady469
Supporting Member

EGT stuff (need advice...)

Post by Shady469 »

Hello all...
I recently put in some Webcam Cams and am retuning the S-AFC accordingly and was wondering if my EGT numbers are OK. BTW: this is on a B6T @ 13psi with the EGT probe mounted in the downpipe about 6 inches from the exhaust housing of the turbine.
cruising around town i get 850 (a/f gauge bouncing back and forth)
on the high way i get 1050-1100(depending on hills etc...)(a/f gauge bouncing back and forth)
and WOT at the top end of 4th i hit like 1350 (a/f gauge 2 bars green)

from what ive read the highway cruising and WOT appear to be lean but if i richen it up to get the high way temps down, normal driving it runs really rich. the plugs aren't white or anything. in fact they look pretty much the same as when i put them in a month ago just a little more golden.
are these temps ok?
thanx in advance for any help...
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
What

Re: EGT stuff (need advice...)

Post by What »

Temps sound fine to me.

Use wideband for air/fuel... narrowband sensors are designed more to tell whether it is on either side of 14.7:1, and don't do a wonderful job of 'how much'.
FroSTeD

Post by FroSTeD »

They are fine.

You should be around 10-12 without any problems. Going over 14k is not recommanded.

On the highway with my BP tranny I get around 11.5.

On country roads I get ~ 10 and when I'm cruising in city slowly it doesn't get high at all, like 8k or so.

Seems to be similar to me. I've got a BPT at 10psi.
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

thanx for the replies... i'm glad to have a second opinion on it.
i too am using the Pro LX tranny (which i hate for highway driving. supposedly you can put in an mx-6(yr? mdl?) 5th gear in to make it a little longer)
once again thanx for the replies.

<small>[ September 22, 2004, 08:55 AM: Message edited by: Shady469 ]</small>
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
FroSTeD

Post by FroSTeD »

I would also like to have a LONGER fifth gear. 3500rpm @ 110km/h is too much for me! :)

But I've got a question for you (or anyone else who can give me an answer). Is the water thermo sensor temperature related in any way to the pyrometer temperature?

My water thermo sensor is broken and I need to change it. But I would like to know if the pyro temperature *can* be used to know approximately the general motor temperature, or if it's not related at all.

I was asking that question to myself and now I'm asking it to someone more knowledgeable than me on this :)
FroSTeD

Post by FroSTeD »

Anybody? :froggie_red:
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

I don't see why not... from memory the probe wasn't porous so damage do to liquids shouldn't be an issue. the only thing i would be wary about is the accuracy at the extremes of the probes capabilities. so for approximate readings it should do OK, for the time being until you get the sensor fixed.
personally though i'd be more concerned about engine conditions and leave it in the exhaust flow. if its a really hot day or stop and go traffic you could always turn on the heat to help cool the radiator down if you think its going to be an issue...
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold

Return to “Forced Induction”