boost +V6???

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
boost_hard

boost +V6???

Post by boost_hard »

i am interested in some info on turbocharging the 1.8l V6 in the 92 mx-3 gs, i am familiar with the klze and F2T motors due to the fact that i am curently an 89 PGT TURBO owner and almost bought a 93 PGT V6, but i am now interested in the V6 mx-3, what would i need for the turbo install? is a garret air research T3 too big for the 1.8? how mutch boost can the 1.8 handle? what kind of 1/4 mile times should i expect out of a boosted 1.8 V6?

thx
joel
ahhhh the power of boost.
mrspanky79

Re: boost +V6???

Post by mrspanky79 »

well you will need all the same things that a turbo'd v6 probe has just a bit tighter room under the hood. As for 1/4m cant tell you i have never been to the track
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
boost_hard

Post by boost_hard »

what kind of cars have you raced/beaten?
ahhhh the power of boost.
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

Hi! I had my K8 engine turbocharged at 10 psi using a T3-T4 turbo (I bought it thinking on using it after on a Kl) a FMU, a set of Kl injectors, a Walbro 255lph fuel pump and an Apex'i S-afc for refining it up and got a real up in horsepower!! I use the 8:1 ratio on the Fmu and work your way with the S-afc. Oh! you will need an A/f ratio meter (for sure) and a EGT ( recomended) I used a stock car intercooler to keep it cool in a side mounted position. . If you are interested on how my project loked like, I have several posts explaining how I built it. V6'ers!! Don´t doubt too much on turbo your car!! It´s a bang on the road! and you can always use what you already have to swap it into a Kl!! (unless you use a t-25 or less).
I couldn´t get any horsepower chart because fatality made that a end cap of my water radiator broke and spread the water to the pavement and blow one of my head gaskets :crying:

<small>[ December 15, 2003, 04:18 AM: Message edited by: BATTOSAI ]</small>
European Mx3 GsRT
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

Battosai has a good, albeit, unconventional setup. He's basically hidden his charger underneath the engine so it is invisible from under the hood. I havn't seen any pictures of it since it has been in. (I don't know if he has taken any) but him and I ran thru a lot of the technical **** when he was building it.

The T3 is an awesome turbo for a turbocharged K8 and is the turbo I am using for my soon-to-be turbo project. Just make sure you research it a lot before you attempt to delve into this project. Good luck.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
thebox

Post by thebox »

Off topic a bit but what do you do with the VAF with a turbo setup? Do you keep the thing or does it get funky under boost? Kind of a silly question but not one I've heard asked before.
1992 MX-3 GS

KLZE - Fidanza Flywheel - CM IIR Clutch - Millenia IM - UR Pulley - IM Spacers - KL36 ECU
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

For what I know, when you´re at full boost, you are at wide open throttle and the Vaf is at it´s fully open position. At this situation, the Ecu is runing in closed loop, so it runs on preset fuel maps. Almost everybody works in systems where the extra fuel supply is dependant on boost, so the Vaf values are kept and your fuel system is being enriched by the auxiliary system you have installed, (Fmu, additional injectors, ...)so the Vaf function is kept mainly as a constant value under boost.(except for the IAT sensor) What I don´t know is at what level of boost it wil explode!!! Hope I explained quite well what I was thinking!!!
European Mx3 GsRT
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

i read that the best place to put the vaf on a turbo setup is after the turbo BUT between the TB and BOV so the bov is not letting air out that was already calculated
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

BTW battosai..do you have pics of ur turbo set-up...I'm planning on putting mine where the batterie is but just wanna see yours..
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

personally if i was turboing the k8 id go for a smaller turbo cuz lag is all the k8 is already.
BATTOSAI

Post by BATTOSAI »

That would be correct, but I had in mind the Kl turbocharged swap, so I went a bit bigger to do the job only one time.
European Mx3 GsRT

Return to “Forced Induction”