volvo and ford turbo's

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
goldsberry1

volvo and ford turbo's

Post by goldsberry1 »

hello, i have found a couple turbo vehicles i would be able to get the turbo off of. the are a volvo 750 and a ford thunderbird turbo coupe. anyone think either of these would work.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
maldo

Re: volvo and ford turbo's

Post by maldo »

The T-bird turbo, depending on the year is either a T3 or a VJ16. Both would work, the vj16 works with the gtx manifold. Check the turbo availability link in my sig.
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

will either of those work on the 2.5? the volvo turbo will need to be rebuilt, but the t-bird's should spin. but i would rebuild it anyway. ill check some other junkyards monday to see what i can find there.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
maldo

Post by maldo »

Any turbo will work but personally I wouldn't put those turbos on a 2.5L, they are well suited to the 1.6L. Find youself a 16G, 14B, or something similar. The VJ series will run out of steam way too soon for the 2.5L so it won't be too fun. The Volvo turbos are similar to many of the Subaru turbos, very small.
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

what about DSM 4G63 turbo? or maybe aftermarket one for same DSM engine
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
maldo

Post by maldo »

14B and 16G are factory Mitsu turbos. ;)
Hy300

Post by Hy300 »

"· T25 (Stock 2G Talon/Eclipse turbos) should be left out of all consideration for our cars. As a previous 97 Talon Tsi owner, I would not recommend that turbo to anyone even on a 2.0L 4 cylinder. This turbo would chop the air so badly above 5krpm that you would have huge power loss. A T28 is not much better.
· Mitsubishi turbos will typically cost more money than they are worth due to a huge demand in the DSM market, and anything smaller than an 18G will most likely be smaller than you would want to run on a PGT. A small 16G is just that: small. A big 16G is a bit better, but they will cost anywhere from $400-600 and require a oil restrictor, (Mitsu turbos require low oil pressure) when the same power can be achieved with standard Garrett T3’s which are overly abundant and cheap."<p>Taken directly from PT's Forced Induction forum, the information can be found in a Turbocharging FYI that is stickied.
maldo

Post by maldo »

Good deals can be found on them if you look, they are a dime a dozen. T25 is a T-too-small, not even recommended for the BP miata, a T28 will boost to about 250whp for a BP but there is a .7L variance between the BP and ZE. If you want go throttle response, a 16G or big 16G might be a good way to go, otherwise bigger is better (to a point).
JWMotorsports

Post by JWMotorsports »

For a killer street strip setup I'd recommend you looking into a Garrett GT32, or GT35. The GT32 would have REALLY good throttle response on the KLZE and flows for upto 420HP. I'm putting a GT32 on my 1.6l B6T which is gonna be laggy under 3500RPM for me. But on that 2.5L KLZE, it wouldn't be bad at all!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/354836
B6T, APEXi Silvia IC, HKS SSQV, Magnacore KV85 Wires, NGK V-Power, Haltech E6K, Accel 300+ Digital Ign w/ coil, Accel 375+ controller, JWMmotorsports turbo manifold & exhaust, custom Garret GT-R series turbo, MAZDASPEED mounts, SRD Bushings, Pacesetter Short Shift, entire Pro LX drive train w/ custom ACT clutch (I'm the first to succeed this on B6T), Weapon-R, and lots more stuff!
maldo

Post by maldo »

I totally agree with you on that but how many people are willing to spend the money that you and I are on a turbo? Not too many are willing to spend $1000+ on a turbo let alone a stand alone ecu.
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

Hy300 you have PM
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

the early 80's model Volvo 700 series came with Garrett T3s :)<p>[ July 05, 2003: Message edited by: Mnemonic ]</p>
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

so, basicly t-3 wouldnt work for me. i would need someting bigger. both of the turbo's i saw were kinda small. as it turns oput the guy who owns the junk yard said he wanted to keep the thunderbird together. he wanted to either sell it as a whole or not at all. :roll: i thought that was stupid. what kind of cars have a turbo that would work for me?
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

A T3 would work fine, depending on the power output you are looking for. I would personally go with the 16G turbo that Chris suggested. That or buy a T3/T4 from ebay.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
maldo

Post by maldo »

Thing to remember is that even though it says its a T3, not all T3 turbochargers are created equally. This goes for all turbos that share the same design.

Return to “Forced Induction”