Which is the best O2 sensor to get for the BPT

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
brianho

Which is the best O2 sensor to get for the BPT

Post by brianho »

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the best O2 sensor to get for the BPT in terms of correct heat range and fit (maybe even the actual part number). I had a universal one (used for 30,000km) for my 1.6SOCH engine that was put into the BPT which was working for a while, but now has crapped out. It seems that it can't heat up enough to work properly. I have an air/fuel gauge that alway says my car is running lean, but it's actually running rich (judging by poping sounds in exhaust, the black tailpipe, and shitty gas mileage). The only time the O2 sensor really starts working is when I've redlined the car a couple times which I guess heats the O2 sensor enough, but then after a few minutes it's back to not working. I know Mazda whats like $150 or the 1.6SOCH O2 sensor, lordco about $75 and Mopac $40 (the one a currently have). But I guess price really doesn't matter if the s--- don't work right, so any suggestions on which brand to get?
'92 MX-3 BPT Elegant Beige
David Coleman

Re: Which is the best O2 sensor to get for the BPT

Post by David Coleman »

Don't they use the same generic 1 wire sensor as the NA BP's?
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

not sure on brands, but you want to have AT LEAST a 3 wire, though 4 wire sensors are the best bet.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
brianho

Post by brianho »

Mine is a single wire O2 sensor.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

the bpt should have had one come with it. if not, grab one off of a dohc mx-3. but being as how you started out with a sohc, i'm not sure how you would wire it up.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

I know 3-4 wire is better...but why does the BPDE have a 1 wire? I recall the B6 being the same....though I'm not a 4cyl guy.
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
maldo

Post by maldo »

It isn't hard to wire up a 3 or 4 wire O2 sensor from the stock 1 wire. Go to <A HREF="http://www.pacificsites.com/~hakuna/miata.html" TARGET=_blank>Hakuna Miata</A> for directions on how to wire it up. Another option is the 5 wire from the Honda VX(?).<P>All the pre OBDII engines came with the 1 wire. Even the B6T, not sure if all the BPTs came with the 3/4 wire sensor but considering the other goodies it is possible. All the 4 cyl engines came with them until about '94 over here, possibly a few '93 models. The only real reason that I can see a BPT having the better O2 is to help monitor the increased demands and the lack of a vaccum advance/retarded disty. That is really the only thing that I can come up with on this one.
brianho

Post by brianho »

Well, I found out that the BPT is one of the only engines that Mazda made with a 3 wire O2 sensor. If I had bought the wiring for the 1.8L BPT when I got the engine I would have had the correct 3 wire hook ups. But since I just used my 1.6SOHC wires I didn't, and also because I couldn't find a 3-wire sensor I went with the 4-wire wich is better anyways. So I just went out and bought a new 4-wire O2 sensor (NGK sensor that fits the V6 MX-3) and wired it up. Thanks a lot to Chris Malden for that Miata link, converting the 1 -wire to 4-wire O2 sensor was very easy. Anyways, the car runs much better now. From the moment I pulled out of Kevin Gee's driveway I could feel the difference believe it or not. <P> Conclusion: the $90 I spent at Lordco Auto Parts was well worth it. The O2 sensor is self-heated so it not only reaches operating temperature way way faster, it's also more accurate (even at idle) giving you better power and gas mileage compared to the single-wire type. <P> Thank you to everyone that responded to my question!
lazzyie

Post by lazzyie »

fyi nopi.com has the same o2 sensor for $45
93 Mx-3 GS klze swapped(sold)
96 Integra LS DD
91 Crx Si drag car
2.0L sleeved gsr block, forged internals, skunk2 valvetrain, HP racing intake manifold, Holset H1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, short geared lsd transmission, 3" turboback exhaust. 20 psi :)
maldo

Post by maldo »

Glad the site helped.

Return to “Forced Induction”