Turboing the stock RS 1.6.... worth it?

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Re: Turboing the stock RS 1.6.... worth it?

Post by monty73741 »

i mean what are your goals......<BR>that is what u have to think<BR>do you want a the fastest rs.....<BR>or do you want some more HP<BR>i am probally gonna do my the dohc turbo...<BR>because i dont want to cut a hole in my hood also i felt it will be a little easier.....the only issue that i would see is apex afc.....it wont work right...so you have to either go with the hks piggy back or a custom computer<P>jason
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
bakedyeti

Post by bakedyeti »

i wanna turbo my RS to. I was just wondering what turbo would fit best on an MX-3. and where you would put an intercooler?
dam2009

Post by dam2009 »

you gonna frie it.!
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Personally i think it would be worth it. Swaps can tend to give even more down time as opposed to developing a kit for your car. Although i do suggest the book Maximum boost.. you see everyone point at it =]<P><BR>There is room for a intercooler in front of the radiator.
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

what about turboing the gs v6 motor? would that be worth it and can the internals handle at least 10-13 lbs of boost? i have the sohc rs but i want to do turbo without cutting out a hole in my hood as well....or should i just go with the 'already turboed' bpt swap rather than swap to a v6 THEN turbo?
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marshmallow15:<BR><STRONG>what about turboing the gs v6 motor? would that be worth it and can the internals handle at least 10-13 lbs of boost? i have the sohc rs but i want to do turbo without cutting out a hole in my hood as well....or should i just go with the 'already turboed' bpt swap rather than swap to a v6 THEN turbo?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> You have an RS.. Stick with a four cylinder swap cuz its much easier.
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cjthor:<BR><STRONG><BR> You have an RS.. Stick with a four cylinder swap cuz its much easier.</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>ahh you mean tranny fitment probs?
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
Stevech_2001

Post by Stevech_2001 »

if also depend on how many km's you have on your drive train....I wouldnt' turbo unless you km's are really low and yoru motor and tranny are fresh....other then that get a swap...
Steve
osargeant

Post by osargeant »

I am also considering turboing my MX 1.6 DOHC. <P>What is the maximum number of miles that you would consider turboing a MX-3. I have 75,000 miles on vehicle and was wondering if it is a good idead to turbocharge a vehicle with that amount of mileage.<P>What type of HP and torque would I be looking at with a turbo setup. I am talking about a relatively conservative one (i.e. T3 or IHI turbo, manifold, fuel pressure riser, intercooler, high flow fuel pump)
JSpec Turbo MX3 (1.6 DOHC)
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/310985

Port and Polished Head, Ported Intake Manifold, Valve Job, GTX Manifold, Hybrid Turbo, Cone Filter, 2.5" Exhaust, 2.5" Downpipe, ACT Street Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, MSD 6A Ignition, Boost Retard and SS Coil, Magnecor Plug Wires, Denso Iridium Plugs, UR Lightened Pulley, Spearco FMIC, Turbo XS BOV & MBC, BEGI RRFPR, Supra Injectors, Walbro 255 Fuel Pump, Autometer Gauges, Pivot Shift Light
maldo

Post by maldo »

You all need to do some research, use the search function. Don't they teach you in school how to find information for yourself? Some of us have spent years trying to find these answers and I won't be giving that info up so easily if you aren't willing to look for it. It is on the web, search for it.
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

Look at my How To it will explain alot. I did this bolt on with 130,000 miles so screw that idea. If you take good care of your car then miles on a Mazda play less of a factor and more of a concern.
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
torpedan

Post by torpedan »

Its not really how much power you get its how much you want.. You can gain quiet a bit but the more you try to gain the more money you have to spend.. Sky is the limit but most of us dont have formula one bugdets
-torp.
I don't own a Mazda.

Return to “Forced Induction”