klze and supercharger

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
marshmallow15

klze and supercharger

Post by marshmallow15 »

i just got myself into some money and wanted to supercharge my na sohc engine from a 92 rs...but i also want to do the kl-ze swap. <P>is it possible to supercharge the kl-ze or should i just get the swap? if not the swap, should i just supercharge the 1.6 sohc?
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
VizualXTC

Re: klze and supercharger

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marshmallow15:<BR><STRONG>i just got myself into some money and wanted to supercharge my na sohc engine from a 92 rs...but i also want to do the kl-ze swap. <P>is it possible to supercharge the kl-ze or should i just get the swap? if not the swap, should i just supercharge the 1.6 sohc?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I don't know much about superchargers, but I do know that a turbocharger is more efficient. The supercharger introduces more heat into the intake charge than a turbo, and it uses the power that you would otherwise use to put to the drivetrain, while the turbo produces less heat, and uses power that you would otherwise loose out the tailpipe. In my oppinion, turbo would be the better way to go. If you really want to swap an engine, I would go with the BPT or B6T swap. It would cost you less money than swapping the KLZE and it would give you almost the same power. (BPT = 180HP @ $990 -corksport.com- KLZE = 200HP @ $1800 -corcsport.com-) and with propper tuning you could surly get that BPT above 200HP. From all the sources I have read, it isn't worth the money to go from the I4 to V6. In fact, there was a guy (forget his name, but it's been dropped a few times on this board) that changed his 1.8 V6 to the I4 BPT and was producing over 500BHP with a TT setup. <BR>Just a few options I guess.<BR>Hope it helps man.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

i was also thinking of the bpt also because it's cheaper and can be modified a lot more than the bulky klze...it's just that all that maintenance that has to do with turbos and all those gauges and a whole new fuel system as well...but i guess if u can save almost up to 800...i need more experience in fine tuning turbo and fuel systems. heheh
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
David Coleman

Post by David Coleman »

Dave Lauzier has upwards of 500bhp with a single turbo on a BP 1.8L 4cyl, but it is far from stock...
David Coleman
I used to know alot about MX-3's, but not so much anymore. Oh well.
natural born honda killer

Post by natural born honda killer »

well im not to sure whats involved with the SOHC. im doing the BPT swap right now in the DOHC and its not to hard. honestly if you know of a shop that can do an engine swap i would talk with them and see. but it really isnt that hard. i think the i/c piping and the throttle wires are going to be the hardest on the sohc. just call corksport and talk to derrick and talk to him about it and see what he says. even ask him to fax you a sheet that tell you what you need if you want. ive been told that turning the boost up to 12 psi will net me about 190whp which im sure is wrong but im guessing its going to be around 220-225 crank hp. i can help you if you want.
jeremy cline
95 MX-3 RS
The only BPT GTR MX-3 in Texas!!!

man iraq sucks!!!
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

thanks. i'll prolly give derrik a call when i order it. i'm going to do some research on this engine before buying it so i can be well-prepared.
- team slideways
momo

Post by momo »

does any one if david lauzier has a web site .curious
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

a few questions:<P>1. when buying a bpt, would i only need an intercooler, bov fuel pump, bigger fuel rails, bigger injectors, and a new ecu like from jetforce to have the bpt installed with no other components or do most of those come with the bpt?<P>2. will an old starion intercooler or eclipse turbo intercooler fit into the mx-3 and work well with the bpt?<P>3. can i replace the turbo on the bpt with a bigger and stronger one?
- team slideways
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

and of course i'll need things such as the wiring harness *or does that come with the bpt?*, sensors, boost gauge, air/fuel ratio gauge, and an apexi auper afc right?
- team slideways
maldo

Post by maldo »

Yes, Yes and Yes! Use the search function, questions regarding what is needed for a turbo motor have been answered hundreds of times. Check out some sites, go to the 323GTR egroup, go to my site (I am running the B6T). Take a look in a magazine, find a turbo car, basically whatever it has, you are gonna need. See if you can find a company to get you a front cut from a GTX/GTR.<P>As for the upgraded turbo, any IHI turbo will bolt up. Please, come join the 323GTX egroup, there is a wealth of knowledge on there about the BP motors. The turbo that you will be getting will most likely be a vj20, you can go as high as a vj23. If you want to use a t3 or t4, Larsen Motorsports can make you an equal length manifold for around $450.<P>Join some more groups and search away.
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Coleman:<BR><STRONG>Dave Lauzier has upwards of 500bhp with a single turbo on a BP 1.8L 4cyl, but it is far from stock...</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Yea, that's who I was talkin about :)
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage

Return to “Forced Induction”