for those with turbo....

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
OsoSlo z28

for those with turbo....

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

this question is directed to the people that have a turbo. how did you mount your bov? did you have to fabricate a pipe with a flange on/in it? did you buy one pre-done? if so, where. thanks or any info.
Fast imports only come on two wheels.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
'02 Yamaha Warrior (1700cc)
'94 MX-3 RS-t (BPT)~ sold
cardomain pics
maldo

Re: for those with turbo....

Post by maldo »

If you are buying a B6T or a BPT to swap in it will be using a flapper door style MAF which requires you to recirculate the air that the BOV expells. The motors should come with the stock bypass valve attached. As for the B6T you can buy an upgrade that is a Bosch unit designed for a Volvo. The unit flows more air and only cost about $60. If you don't buy a bypass valve an allow the air to expell into the atmosphere it can hurt your performance a bit. You can swap to a standard style BOV if you run a Haltek or Tec-II. Piggyback computers may be able to correct the idle problem associated with running a BOV without recirculating the air back to the metering device but they wouldn't be as effective as a stand alone.<P>Most companies sell the flanges to weld onto your i/c pipes. Check <A HREF="http://www.roadraceengineering.com." TARGET=_blank>www.roadraceengineering.com.</A> Go to the Eclipse section and then to the do-it-yourself section. They have most stuff that will be needed. Give Mike a call there, he knows the B6T well. He actually helped SCC with their project 323.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

thanks for the input. i have a blitz ssbov that i'm planning on using when i get the bpt. will this create the same situation as you mentioned for the b6t? i'm planning on getting the ecu and harness and run an apex'i setup(boost and fuel controller) do you think this will work? thanks again.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
maldo

Post by maldo »

It should help cure some of the problems associated with this mod. The problem is that you won't be remetering the air. The tendency is for the car to have a stumbling idle an run rather rich (maybe its lean, can't remember) when the BOV is activated. The S-AFC would be my choice to help cure it. I am looking at buying one soon and could do some testing then but until then I am not sure on how well it will effect the problem. The AFC is the next best thing to going stand alone so it may work.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

thanks again. i was looking at what comes with the bov and there's a T fitting. the hose it comes with fits on the fitting on the back of the bov and the T fitting fits into the other end, but what does the T fitting "splice" into?
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
texmx3

Post by texmx3 »

the bov on my turbo is goin gback to the atmosphere and had to be custom made for about 50$ I do have the ability to send it back to the exhaust but not now when all is said and done we will see if it does hurt perfomance or not also look and shop around for your electrical components the total cost for your higher dollar equipment may be the same as having a stand alone system. I know several people that have had problems with the apexi afc and boost controller , it is all on prefernce.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

i had thought about that, but i got some really good deals on the two, plus i don't have a laptop which would make tuning a pain in the @$$. but i do feel a stand alone is in the near future...but i gotta get the motor first :D<p>[ December 04, 2001: Message edited by: cre8v mx3 ]
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
Hypermiata

Post by Hypermiata »

the answer is no. there are blow off valves that doesn't have to be weld to the intake pipe. Check out <A HREF="http://www.roadsterperformance.com" TARGET=_blank>www.roadsterperformance.com</A> You want to install it very close to the throtle body.
<A HREF="http://www.hypermiata.com" TARGET=_blank>www.hypermiata.com</A>
v6turbo323hatch

Post by v6turbo323hatch »

I have a BOV from a 2nd gen turbo RX7 -- works fine at low/med boost. Cheap, too. ;D<P>I just have a small nipple from the intake piping, and then a piece of silicon hose clamped onto the nipple which goes to the BOV. Easy as pie. :)
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

the bov that i have has to be mounted on the intake pipe. it also has a fitting on the back for a small hose. where does this hose go? the instructions probably say, but since it's all in japanese, i can't read it.
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics
v6turbo323hatch

Post by v6turbo323hatch »

Ha, gotta love the Japanese language instructions. I gave some to my mechanic, he thought he had drank too much for a micro-second...<P>That sounds like the line of the air hose to send the air back into your system (since it's metered by your air flow meter/VAF). Mine is tapped into my intake manifold. You could do that or send it back into your intake stream.<P>Or just vent into the atmosphere if your BOV is pre-VAF.
OsoSlo z28

Post by OsoSlo z28 »

ok, now i'm confused. the bov vents to the atmospere, yet it has a return line. will it do both? here's a pic of what i have. the hole in the top-back-left is where my fitting is at.<P> Image<p>[ December 11, 2001: Message edited by: cre8v mx3 ]
"MR." Ashley Fowler
cardomain pics

Return to “Forced Induction”