Lug nuts with a new wheel

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
JWMX3

Lug nuts with a new wheel

Post by JWMX3 »

Somebody told me that with the 18 x 7.5 rims i bought I might need to buy new lug nuts... i have never put aftermarket rims on a car before.... is that true ?
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
tical

Re: Lug nuts with a new wheel

Post by tical »

i also went to a 18 by 7.5 rim size....the stock lugs will work but i dont recomend it.....plus i dont like the factory locks, i eventually had ta cut them off cause the design started ta strip, thank god it happened right before i got my rims, cause it marked my one rim pretty good wit the air hammer, but hey, that was the last route and they are just winter wheels now....
93' Mx-3 GS, repainted laguna blue with pearl, 18 inch wheels (white) with Falcon ZE512 ruppers, custom headers with 2 1/4 inch exhaust, ported TB and intake manifold, ACT clutch, and ground-control coil-overs.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

It all depends on the wheel manufacture specs. Also please follow our guide for signature pics. Thanks

http://www.mx-3.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=34;t=000006
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

thats all i needed... thanks Tical, 100.00 Cnd (~72.00 USD)for new lugs tho... more then i expected, but oh well..gotta do what ya gotta do

,Joe
tical

Post by tical »

glad i could help.....also....let me know how them 18's feel, i havent gotten a chance to drive with mine cause i dont have my licence right now and my car isnt runnin, very minor though, its aslo in construction, new paint inside and out, and a couple other custom things ta come.......
93' Mx-3 GS, repainted laguna blue with pearl, 18 inch wheels (white) with Falcon ZE512 ruppers, custom headers with 2 1/4 inch exhaust, ported TB and intake manifold, ACT clutch, and ground-control coil-overs.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

hey... Ive just had the 18s on for a day now and they drive real nice...little bumps are magnifyed of course and gotta be real careful for holes and that with the 35 series tires, but just to letcha know ive just got em on with stock suspension right now.... next week ill be gettin my new struts and H&R's on,, then Ill tell ya how it rides...... but for sure, ive got BFG Scorchers and they arent the best high performance tire by any means, but they relly stick to the road and corner well, great for scaring the S*** out of the passenger, not to mention 18's look incredible on mx3s, but ill letya kno how it is next week lowered with the new suspension... good luck gettin your car back in order ;)
rayrrod

Post by rayrrod »

what size tires did u end up installing?
i also got 18 inch wheels, ADRs fuel, bronze
am thinking of going with 235 40 18. what do u think?
some one said to go with nothing bigger than 35 instead of 40, guess thats a bit shorter tire. but not really by much.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

some one said to go with nothing bigger than 35 instead of 40, guess thats a bit shorter tire. but not really by much
I dont know about 235's... you may have a problem rubbing the strut housing or even the wheel well when you turn... one guy tried 245's and where WAY tooo big.... if i were you Id go the safe way with 215-35-18 and avoid possible headaches..... im asuming your ADR's are 7.5 wide right ?
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Post by atlantamx3 »

Originally posted by Myardor:
what size tires did u end up installing?
i also got 18 inch wheels, ADRs fuel, bronze
some one said to go with nothing bigger than 35 instead of 40, guess thats a bit shorter tire. but not really by much.
A 235/40/18 is a LOT bigger then 225/35/17.

The 40 series tire will be WAY too big and wide if your car is lowered any.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
tical

Post by tical »

yeah, 215 is about as big as u can go with 18's, i got the specs, it comes done to mm's of room with the 215 series... and yeah JWMX3, my car is coming along great, its ready to be painted and will soon be runnin too, the internal coil went out on my disty, so im haveing an MSD ignition and coil put in. i have ground-control coilovers, so i cant wait to take a ride with those nice 18's, also my tires are Falcon ZE512 215/40/18. i was told that, that was the biggest u could go without modifying.... thanx and good luck with your car :2thumbsup:
rayrrod

Post by rayrrod »

those wheel lugs, what size are they? i know each tire has 4!! but what size, do miss the online manual.
oh i did order a Service manual CD hope to get it later this week.
i am still thinking of 235 40 18s
using the tire calculator
its 1.9 inches taller and 10 mm wider. well all those are half ..since the other half either goes out or down
tical

Post by tical »

im sorry, but i dont see u makin it with 18's, those wheels will definitely rub when u make a turn, some modifying will be needed.....
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

Might be a little late, but you can buy spline drive lugs in bulk at performance improvements for $1.99CAD each. And the key is an extra $5.
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

those wheels will definitely rub when u make a turn, some modifying will be needed.....
I agree....your asking for trouble, do you have something against 215's ? They look great on our car.... but hey, its up to you :confused2:

Return to “Appearance”