Replacing door locks

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Andrew_Pakula

Replacing door locks

Post by Andrew_Pakula »

How do I go about replacing a door lock? My drivers side door lock is pretty mangled up and still opens but I have to really work it to get it open, where as the passenger side opens as if it was like brand new.

Do I have to go to a Mazda dealer and they would order it or something? or do all the locks have to be replaced?
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Replacing door locks

Post by mitmaks »

mine has same problem, esp after someone tried to break in it, f mofos. But anyways, you take off door pad and see if you can get to lock, well if not then remove whatever is needed to get to it. There will be little skinny metal shim, its just metal plate that holds lock onto door skin, you remove it and your lock cylinder will pop out. hope this helps.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

I had the exact same problem last year with my blue GS, all the locks were screwed up and the only way to unlock the car was with the alarm system. So i took all the locks out, 2 doors and trunk and took them to a lock smith @ dufferin and 401. he charged me 50$ to replace the teeths in the cylinder and rematch it to my key + 2 brand new mazda keys. They are extremely easy to take out, just take the door panel off, and reach to the lock cylinder, there is a little yellow or white plastic tab holding it to a rod with is connected to your interior handle, just slide the tab counterclockwise and the rod will come out of it, and i think there is a ring holding it onto the handle, remove the ring and the lock cylinder will easily come out. If you want to do a very clean job with no hassles ever, go to the mazda dealership, ask them to make you a new key with your VIN #, and then take the key and locks to locksmith and ask them to clean it and match it to your new key. If you do this, you will never have anymore problems. :D

I wish this helps, and if you cant get the lock out, gimme a call @ 647 296 5583 and i will come and take it out for you on saturday before i go to help out another T.O mxer with her car. :p

have fun and drive safe all.
RaspMetalicMX3SE

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

I had the smae problem with my driver side door lock so i just bought a keyless entry for the two doors off ebay for like a hundred bcks installed it my self wasn't too bad and it works great

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”