i got a problem

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
MI-Archangel

i got a problem

Post by MI-Archangel »

heres the deal guys I want to paint my tailights all red today. I hear the best way is paintin the inside with candy apple red transparent paint? what the code for that and how excatly do I do this the site with the how-to is down.
Johns93GS

Re: i got a problem

Post by Johns93GS »

Mine were done on the outside of the lens... just go to the store and buy the candle apple red paint, there isnt a code to my knowledge its just transparent red tint. Mask off the reverse light very well since that needs to be kept clear by law, and spray even light coats until you like your tint. let it dry and your done. just remember, the prep work you do before determines how good your result will be... :shrug:<p>[ August 02, 2003: Message edited by: Johns93GS ]</p>
john kilfoyle .:. mx-3 fanatic
http://www.cardomain.com/id/johnmx3
jwillistyl55

Post by jwillistyl55 »

actually it isnt illegal for the reverse light to be red alot of people around me have blue green and red BULBS in their reverse lights cuz seriously how many times are u gonna slam it into reverse when there is a cop behind ya lol so i dunno about ur laws but i would say f the white reverse light and not to worry about it<p>
cody
SPEED KILLS! SAVE A LIFE! DRIVE A HONDA!!!
Johns93GS

Post by Johns93GS »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jwillistyl55:
actually it isnt illegal for the reverse light to be red alot of people around me have blue green and red BULBS in their reverse lights cuz seriously how many times are u gonna slam it into reverse when there is a cop behind ya lol so i dunno about ur laws but i would say f the white reverse light and not to worry about it<p>cody<hr></blockquote><p>Wow you must be 16 and just got your license. The goal of customizing cars isn't to piss off cops, have you ever seen what cops do to imports? They target them, they are looking for some reason to pull you over most of the time.... be smart. don't paint your tails completely red, mask off the reverse light because it IS illegal to have any color reverse light except clear. I dunno what law books you have been reading :shrug:
phr34k

Post by phr34k »

john is correct in this. three civics had green reverse lights and as they were kicked out of sonic (Where most of the imports meet before we go to the track) the cops spotted these and ticketed them. DO NOT change the color on reverse lights it IS illegal
MI-Archangel

Post by MI-Archangel »

guys, i dont plan t but if i paint outside of tails wont they scratch and fade?
Johns93GS

Post by Johns93GS »

well i cant really say for sure since i didnt paint the inside... but I think that since the turn signal is orange, you would need to paint the outside to cover up the orange... if you spray on the inside it may tint it a little darker and make your bulbs harder to see, but I doubt it will do anything to change the orange color of the lens...<p>I have had mine for a long while now, I think about 8 months and they havent faded or scratched... if done correctly, they should last a long time
jwillistyl55

Post by jwillistyl55 »

no i aint 16 but there is a sheetz gas station where all the ricers around me hang out and the cops sit there so they dont cause trouble and every single one has a diff color reverse light and the cops dont do a thing cuz its illegal to have distractin things on ur car in motion (neons strobes etc) but when ur on the road u dont see the reverse lights anyways so they cant say anything now if u have an @$$hole cop when u happen to do a three point turn on a road then maybe but other than that there is a very slim chance of them even seein it
SPEED KILLS! SAVE A LIFE! DRIVE A HONDA!!!
MI-Archangel

Post by MI-Archangel »

BUDDY! sstop *****ing about your reverse lights do what you want if you get a ticket we will laugh at you. Now so lwet me udnertsand this procedure fget candy apple transparent paint from a hobby shop? what the code for it? then how many layers do i do and how many clear coat layers?
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jwillistyl55:
but when ur on the road u dont see the reverse lights anyways so they cant say anything now if u have an @$$hole cop when u happen to do a three point turn on a road then maybe but other than that there is a very slim chance of them even seein it<hr></blockquote><p>hmm.. that must mean they're ILLEGAL.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

oh and about the paint, just go to your local pep boys and get the candy apple transparent paint.. and you have to do the outside of the lens.. the inside wont do much since you'll still see the amber. about 3-4 coats and a shot of 2 clear should last you for a long while depending on weather conditions in your area.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
quicksliver

Post by quicksliver »

I’ve totally blacked out my tails (including reverse lights), and have yet to receive a ticket. I didn't do it just cause I want attention or anything, i just think it looks retarted masking the reverse lights. However, when i do get a ticket...i won't ***** and complain :shrug: .
MI-Archangel

Post by MI-Archangel »

ok guys i live in canada any ideas where to get it hear?
phr34k

Post by phr34k »

with red spray as opposed to black spray there isn't a large difference in the color of your brake lights and your reverse light; therefore, you will recieve a ticket easier then someone with black consider it
Johns93GS

Post by Johns93GS »

Anyone who is just plain stupid like some on here, go ahead and color your reverse light, I am not gonna stop you.<p>But be forewarned, you are breaking the law by doing that, your car will fail inspections if you are in the US and you will get tickets. It's an infraction and your insurance will go up.<p>Don't be stupid just cuz you think your a hardass and your above the cops. they will own you :shrug:

Return to “Appearance”