Projektor Projekt

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
VizualXTC

Projektor Projekt

Post by VizualXTC »

I want to build fiberglass projector headlights for our cars. Most likely they will either incorporate the plastic lense that is already on the headlight, but if I can find a place that will produce glass lenses I will use them. The only problem is that I don't know [for sure] what they should look like. I have asked a few people to do it, but they wont (you know who you are...for shame) so I am going to ask each and every viewer of this post to draw up a design for a projector headlight. This will NOT be a huge project, it will be a direct replacement, so no outlandish designs. Just something that can easily fit in the hole that is filled by the stock unit. I will draw up a design and post it and then when we get enough designs we will have a vote. If the vote goes well, I will decide wether or not to produce these. All your help is appreciated. Thanks
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
VizualXTC

Re: Projektor Projekt

Post by VizualXTC »

I want to also add these heads will NOT be DOT approved. I am thinking about talking to the Department of Transportation and seeing if I can get them approved, but I'm afraid that if I do, they'll flag it ya know?
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

if you use the stock lens cover, there is no point.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

i beg to differ but your entitled to your opinion
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr> if you use the stock lens cover, there is no point<hr></blockquote><p>i thought of doing this but projector beam housings imo are to small for our melted bug eyed head lights. if you are using true projector housings i think the stock lense cover would make no difference except save u some cash on glass ones. i dont know if you already seen this but this is a pic of my friends car with custom projector conversion. might give u some ideas
i dont know where else has them, i havent checked in a while but this is where my friend got it from
http://www.susquehanna.com/susq/hella/90mm.htm<p> i dont know if you already seen this but this is a pic of my friends car with custom projector conversion. might give u some ideas on how it would look in terms of size.
ImageImageoh yah this car should be in super rice street mag soon with fender flares and different wheels.
Steeb

Post by Steeb »

oh yah good luck. let us know how it turns out. maybe u could make some money if they turn out good
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

it depends on what look you're going for. They wont look like *gulp* Hondas ( dont start ). I have a pal that has put projectors in his mx and the lenses make the beam look just as wide and unfocused as regular bulbs do. IMO the HIDs that were on the green mx at the delaware meet (cant remember his name!) Looked nicer and brighter. <p>But good luck to you ryan!
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

I would be making the entire housing from fiberglass. I won't be using pre-made anything but the lenses. I was planing on making a mold and possibly making more sets for others on the board. I'm not interested in making money on this, just trying to help all my fellow MX-3ers realize dreams. Any drawings you could post would be excellent. If you can't post one I can give you my addy if you wanna snail it. Thanks for the reply's so far.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

ImageImage
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

If you do this, don't use the stock lense. Or any lense that is fabricated like it. You NEED a clear lense. WHY? Because the lines will fuzz up the light and make the projector light (which already has a lense of it's own) fuzzy and aimed wrong no matter what you do.<p>~A
~ Millionflame (94 GS 120K)
maldo

Post by maldo »

Ryan, I would have to agree with Aiden.<p>Using the 2 lights that you have shown in your previous post, just make a nice fiberglass (or carbonfibre ;) ) housing for them. Take a look at these ones offered for the Focus, similar design would be nice.<p>Here is the link: Focus lighting
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Im in the process of designing mine as well, my only question would be how much heat can the fiberglass withstand? Using a 55 or 100W fog would maybe be a problem?
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Custommx3:
Im in the process of designing mine as well, my only question would be how much heat can the fiberglass withstand? Using a 55 or 100W fog would maybe be a problem?<hr></blockquote><p>If you're thinking of using a H3 bulb for a headlight projector, that's a really bad idea. An H3 is basically only for fog lights. It's in the design of the actual bulb. Ones like 9005 (for high) and 9006 (for low) are your best bets. There are others like an H7 or H1, but the reason there are different bulbs is because they are meant for different designs, and meant for specific headlamp housing sized, shapes, etc etc.<p>~A
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I will be using an aftermarket driving light, not a fog light.
millionflame

Post by millionflame »

If any of you will be using higher wattage bulbs, I would suggest using a ceramic base bulb, for better cooling purposes.<p>I'm putting in two ceramic 100/130W H4s soon, with a heavy duty harness.<p>~A
DJPRO

Post by DJPRO »

I definitely need a set. My MX has HID's but they don't have high beams. I get a lot of drivers flashing me thinking I have my high beams on. I like the look of the Focus projectors but with the lens. I hope your project goes well.<p>later,
dee.
'92 MIATA
'93 MX-3 BPT
'08 CX-9 AWD GRAND TOURING
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Steeb:
i beg to differ but your entitled to your opinion
<p>
<hr></blockquote>
If you use stock lens covers, you wont even be able to see the projector lights that well, ESPECIALLY if your lens covers are even slightly yellow. Do like marshmallow and find some glass shop to make u some out of glass.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site

Return to “Appearance”