ONDERGROUND-DESIGN Offer CARBON FIBER HOOD

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
onderground

ONDERGROUND-DESIGN Offer CARBON FIBER HOOD

Post by onderground »

oK I see lots of interest in it...<P>Here are some stuff I need to tell you... ok lets start with the bad ones...<P>We, at the shop, in business since long time... but we never believed in Full carbon hood, for many reasons, here they are:<P> 1 : with years, the fiber that hold the metal bracket for the latch and the hinge, crack and loose strengh.. the hinges can break and hood flip on the highway...<P> 2 : with year, water get inside the hood, beetween the top and the bottom, inside the fiberglass and make corrosion... when fiberglass get in contact with water, it doesnt matter, but with 2-3 years, it can break the fiberglass and hood flip on the highway [ again ]<P> 3: safety.... you hit something about 100mph... witch parts of the car play like a spring to absorb the shock ?... the hood is responsible for a major part in that case... and I know that full fiberglass hood are not resistant to impact... <P>Ok so here my proposal, how we do our hood is this way :<P>we unmelt the metal cover, the top of the hood.... and we take it out...! We just use the metal framing under... and we come and apply the fiber carbon cover on it... it come flush on the fender and it hold with urethane and fiberglass all under the metal framing...<P>it so resistant.. better than full fiberglass hood and we dont need to relocate the hinge and latch...<P>the problem is.. i NEED to buy a stock hood... and only mazda have those hood... no jobber available!.. So that mean the hood cost 470$ canadian... and the total cost for the carbon fiber installed in that hood is 900$ canadian..<P>that mean 1370$ canadian dollars, approx 900$ US for this hood....<P>you need to add 150$ shipping and 30$ duty for it...shipped residential adress all across USA....<P>TOTAL OF 1080$ Us funds... <P>we will cover the 3000$ cost of the mold ourselves<P>Are you interested....?
tivo0131

Re: ONDERGROUND-DESIGN Offer CARBON FIBER HOOD

Post by tivo0131 »

thats an extremely large sum of money i don't think i can afford that chunk of change but good luck to you
kuruption1983

Post by kuruption1983 »

bro thas insane!!!<BR>is there anyway to reduce the cost of the carbon fiber layer somehow??,<BR>and are we able to use our own hood to make that thing, with the understanding that the car must sit till the hood is ready( @ least for us who are in ontario and quebec)! @ least we wont have to pay 450 eh! :D <P>if it is possible, i am in 850 is kewl, but no more than that!<P>will appreciate your answer eh!
onderground

Post by onderground »

right!<P>for those who live in ontario and quebec we can do this for 900$ canadian... and we will use your stock hood!<P>thats the only possiblity<P>I tried to find jobber hood but none available for mazda...<P>I try to do my best to satisfy you and offering great product that have neven been released... But remember that hood at 299$ on ebay are made by asian working at 0.50$ / hours... and they sell 5000 hood per year.. thats the differance
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

No way guys..If you seriously want this hood made for under 500 bucks I need to ship a hood to Arizona and we will have a prototype in 30 days. Anyone have a spare hood?
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Shady469
Supporting Member

Post by Shady469 »

yeah dude... the whole idea of a CF hood is to be light weight. what your saying is basically a stock hood with carbon fiber over it... i can do that myself with a big sheet of CF sticker. <BR>for that price i could get 2 real CF hoods.<BR>(if anybody in AZ would lend a hood)
B6T powered MX-3 - sold
Stage 3ish 03 WRX - sold
03 S2000 - current/ for sale
onderground

Post by onderground »

the metal framing under the hood is just the brace... it weight approx 2 pounds!<P>I play safety... did you know that importtrenz was in poursuit for lots of money because one of their hood flip and the guy died in a accident... yeah!<P>I dont want to close my door because of thing like that... so we play safety or we forget this...! Those are 2 options!
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

I'd be sayin no. There is no way in hell I'd pay $1K for a damn CF hood. I am gunna be making my own, (if Jarid gets me the s--- I need) and if it comes out well.....I may just offer them. NO way I'd charge $1K, maybe $200 depending on how cheap I can get the materials. (Jarid) When I get the time I will be starting the project. Most likly this winter.
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
Shadow_Mx-3

Post by Shadow_Mx-3 »

I would have liked to have one made but i suppose it won't be possible because my present hood is bent.<P>That is the main reason why i wanted a new hood made.
Jean-François
Now Mazda MP3 2001 Owner
The MX-3 is sold !
onderground

Post by onderground »

Yeah but understand that in this price we BUY a new metal hood and we take out the cover and we insert the carbon cover top <P>just the hood cost 450$ canadien!<P>I will try to find another way...
VizualXTC

Post by VizualXTC »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by onderground-design:<BR><STRONG>Yeah but understand that in this price we BUY a new metal hood and we take out the cover and we insert the carbon cover top <P>just the hood cost 450$ canadien!<P>I will try to find another way...</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Why not make the brace out of CF? CF works better than the steel anyway. I've seen a truck drive over a CF hood in an experiment without even marking it. I'd like to see a steel hood stand up to that kind of abuse. I understand the concerns about mounting the hood on the hinges. With proper engineering you can ealily overcome that problem. I am still in the design stage of my project also. I am thinking about mounting a 1/4" steel plate on the back side of the brace, sandwiched in carbon cloth. Like I said, this is still in the R/D stage, but it's an idea. Also why not use hood pins?
~Ryan~

1994 MX-3 GS Teal
Stock V6 with insane potential
1987 Toyota Pickup
SR5 Xtracab Turbo

--The slow wait until the green light, while the FAST already left when the red went out--

--Sex should be like driving a Honda....slow, obscene, and loud enough for the neighbors to hear--
ImageImage
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

We could at least save 70 bucks if we didnt use that hood latch and just went with hood pins.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
mrmike420
Supporting Member

Post by mrmike420 »

Yo, I Live In Arizona!! Where At In Arizona Would I Have To Take My Hood? Hit Me Up At: mrmike420@hotmail.com
~FUeGo~
92 MX-3 GS, 5spd, Black Metallic, Tokico ZX2 Struts, Eibach Springs, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's, K&N A/F, Suzuka S/S Brake Lines, KGS Dual Tip Muffler, Dynamat Extreme Trunk Kit
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by N/A:<BR><STRONG>Yo, I Live In Arizona!! Where At In Arizona Would I Have To Take My Hood? Hit Me Up At: mrmike420@hotmail.com</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P> You got mail bro.
Jarid Perry
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
mrmike420
Supporting Member

Post by mrmike420 »

Bro, I got it!....let's see what we can do! :D
~FUeGo~
92 MX-3 GS, 5spd, Black Metallic, Tokico ZX2 Struts, Eibach Springs, Sylvania Silverstar Ultra's, K&N A/F, Suzuka S/S Brake Lines, KGS Dual Tip Muffler, Dynamat Extreme Trunk Kit

Return to “Appearance”