Suicide doors

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
Pimpn1l2

Suicide doors

Post by Pimpn1l2 »

hey I have got a question. I want to know the type of doors that slide upwards such as on the ferrari 360 modena and the jaguar. I'm thinking of modifying my doors, but i can't think of what type those doors are. I heard they were called suicide doors, but I don't think that is the name of them
If you love something let if go, if it comes back to you it's yours. If it doesn't, it never was.
DJGypsy

Re: Suicide doors

Post by DJGypsy »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pimpn1l2:<BR><STRONG>hey I have got a question. I want to know the type of doors that slide upwards such as on the ferrari 360 modena and the jaguar. I'm thinking of modifying my doors, but i can't think of what type those doors are. I heard they were called suicide doors, but I don't think that is the name of them</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR>ok, first thing: the doors on a 360 modena open the same way they do on your mom's camry...scissor doors are on the Lamborghini diablo where the just swing up from the front...suicide doors open backwards compared to your mom's camry, so imagine the door hinge being located immediately behind your shoulder instead of up by your feet. gull wings doors are on the DeLorean, just watch back to teh future ;) ...hope this clears things up
-Dan
(SOLD) '94 RS, rebuilt B6 DOHC engine & cyl head, ACT clutch, e-bay CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, wide open resonator w/ stock muffler, H&R springs, Tokico HPs, front strut tower brace, KVR drilled rotors w/ carbon fiber pads, Falken tires, Impostor lightweight wheels, Kenwood & MTX sound.

straights are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers.
Pimpn1l2

Post by Pimpn1l2 »

Ok that cleared my first question up, but now I have another one, what is the difference between gully doors and scissor doors? Also is it impossible to convert my doors into one of those types?
If you love something let if go, if it comes back to you it's yours. If it doesn't, it never was.
DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Pimpn1l2:<BR><STRONG>Ok that cleared my first question up, but now I have another one, what is the difference between gully doors and scissor doors? Also is it impossible to convert my doors into one of those types?</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>okay...you could not do true gull wing doors like on the DeLorean if you have a sunroof. just look at how they work on the DeLorean, and you will see that the doors use all of the roof for support...now with scissor doors(a la Lamborghini Diablo/Countach)...imagine yourself in your car...open the door, and instead of the door swinging out like normal, it will do this: from the very same pivot point that the door hinges use now, the door will swing up, sending the "handle side" of the door up in the air...take a pair of scissors, and hold them horizontally in front of your face...now open the scissors...i believe this will explain to you how this style of doors move, as well as why they are called scissor doors...good luck
-Dan
(SOLD) '94 RS, rebuilt B6 DOHC engine & cyl head, ACT clutch, e-bay CAI, 2 1/4" exhaust, wide open resonator w/ stock muffler, H&R springs, Tokico HPs, front strut tower brace, KVR drilled rotors w/ carbon fiber pads, Falken tires, Impostor lightweight wheels, Kenwood & MTX sound.

Pimpn1l2

Post by Pimpn1l2 »

I gotcha now. I was searching the internet and on <A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/de2/randskustu ... rdoor.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.angelfire.com/de2/randskustu ... or.html</A> <BR>There is a pic of a eclipse with scissor doors and shaved door handles. This is what I want on my car and I know that it can be modified on other cars. Is it at all possible to modify those doors on a mx-3?
DJGypsy

Post by DJGypsy »

so, u want scissor doors...i think it would look bad a--, but you gotta think about how the door will move with the door gaskets and such, if they will agree with this type of motion. also, if you look at your door when it is closed, it goes pretty far into the frame when it does close...this could pose some problems if the door has to swing straight up...this would have to be a totally custom set up...but if that's what u want, talk to the guys @ ur custom shop, and see what they think about the feasability of what u wanna do...by the way, are you on AIM/ what's ur s/n? i'm DJGypsy27....message me if ur on there
-Dan

Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

make sure you pull the scissors AWAY from your face before closing them..lol :D
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

sorry, but suicide doors are nearly impossible on an mx3 without frame modification. if youll notice, there's a lock mechanism on the bottom right of the door when you open it...which holds the door closed. in order for scissor doors, they have to swing up, but they cant swing up with that lock mechanism in place...so unless youre willing to put a lock mechanism somewhere else with LOTS of custom work, just think of the gullwing or suicide style by flipping the lock mechanism to the other side.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
marshmallow15

Post by marshmallow15 »

oh and btw...other cars with the lock mechanism in the same area can only do the scissor doors by the same way i just mentioned.
http://boostedboogie.notanorg.org
- team slideways
92' mazda mx-3 (parting out), 03' bmw 325i, 03' bmw 530i (traded for 325), red FD3S (sold), 2005 cateyes carbon fiber bike
eunosads

Post by eunosads »

I remember reading a post about this a little while.. I think one guy had done a bit of research and got some rough estimates.<P>Cheapest he got was $8000 USD.. [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img] <P>It'd be awesome, but not worth it methinks..
- EUNOS 30X -
RaspMetalicMX3SE

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

i have a pic of a car with McClaren doors
RaspMetalicMX3SE

Post by RaspMetalicMX3SE »

monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

autoloc makes hinges to adapt any door.......<P>jaosn
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
mik

Post by mik »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by monty73741:<BR><STRONG>autoloc makes hinges to adapt any door.......<P>jaosn</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But will it work properly with the locking mechanism? Or do parts of the door have to be replaced or modified?

Return to “Appearance”