cracked fiberglass!!!

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
spiral

cracked fiberglass!!!

Post by spiral »

i cracked my front MD corksport bumper, its like a 3 inch crack, whats the best way to fix it,and do a minor paint job on that or do i have to paint the whole thing again? :mad:
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Re: cracked fiberglass!!!

Post by Zoso124 »

Sand down a 3 inch area around the crack until you get through all the paint and into the fiberglass and then mix up some resin and give it a few layers and build it back up and sand it back down. You may need to reinforce it with some more fiberglass behind it since you now have a weak spot.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
codene

Post by codene »

and also bondo the front to hide the crack, i believe i have some pics of me doing it on the fx front end. look at my site then images
<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/mail_cory_here" TARGET=_blank>Codenes Car</A>
spiral

Post by spiral »

ok but, what about the paint?<BR>do i paint the whole thing or just that spot?<BR> [img]shrug.gif"%20border="0[/img]
Swego

Post by Swego »

I did some touch-up paint on my bumper with spray can paint and it's starting to chip very bad. Make sure you use very resistant paint on there because the bumper gets hit with lots of little rocks and mosquitos. :D
mazda20

Post by mazda20 »

I just fixed my bumper with some plastic epoxy from autozone it work like a champ and I was able to sand it down too.
94 Mazda MX-3 BPT Custom Intake/Exhaust T3/T4, 51mm BOV, Tial WG, 2.5" Piping, 880cc Inj, Godspeed Intercooler, TEC II
My MX-3 Website
rygy2k1

Post by rygy2k1 »

you need an adhesion promoter to make the paint stick thoroughly. 3M make s good one I think alonmg with PPG. My dad just painted my entire car a his shop and he had to use adhesion promoter for my front bumper (the MS Corksport one) so just make sure you use some of that along with a good pait, I would recomend PPG not some of this stuff you get at your local autozone if you want the paint job to last and look good.
spiral

Post by spiral »

thanks guys! i used some dupont paint on it with a coat of clear, but what do i use to stop the chipping of the paint with the little rocks from the road?<BR>thats a big thing for me, cause after 4 days that i took it out of the shop i already had that problem :(

Return to “Appearance”