Possibly a silly question where you will all rip me apar

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
zoom zoom zoom

Possibly a silly question where you will all rip me apar

Post by zoom zoom zoom »

hi, i'm from the uk and the klze is very rare here.....i have the option to get a klde for very little money. Is there much difference in performance between the standard k8 and the klde? i bascially want to know whether it is the worse the hassle and money! Will i really notice the difference?!?

Thanks all!!

PS..this is urgent..i have to let the guy know today
ProjekMX3
Supporting Member

Re: Possibly a silly question where you will all rip me apar

Post by ProjekMX3 »

You'll definitely notice a difference. Its a difference of like 34 hp and about 45 torque. So it'll be noticeable just curious what kind of DE is it and how much u payin for it?
92 GS, 210 psi per cylinder KL-101 Engine, Pacesetter Exhaust, Centerforce DF, CAI, Hi Flow Cat, Headers.
By Spring 06: Megasquirt and FPR
By Fall 06: KL-31 Heads with Interprep Cams
zoom zoom zoom

Post by zoom zoom zoom »

cheers buddy.

Its a kl-de out of a ford probe....its got 70k on it and just had belts etc done....its £400 (not sure what that is in dollars)...for WHOLE car so i can sell bits off it and make a little money back hopefully. I'm, quite new to all the modding stuff so i want to do it to learn as well!! Plus....my clutch is on its last legs i think....the throw put bearing is squealing at me. So thats kinda encouraging me to do the swap.

Do you think it would be a good idea to do the swap with this engine?
zoom zoom zoom

Post by zoom zoom zoom »

Also..... realistically....how long do you reckon it takes to do the swap??? (providing nothing goes wrong!!) cheers
zoom zoom zoom

Post by zoom zoom zoom »

For the guys who did the swap to a kdle....were you happy with it....did it feel worth it??
ProjekMX3
Supporting Member

Post by ProjekMX3 »

I haven't driven mine yet long story should be riding this weekend. Well my klde swap took 3 weeks heh. JK (actually i'm not also a long story). But ya you can pretty much do it in 2-3 days at least thats what it would have taken me but it took a lot longer because of work and classes. Also I had help from a person experienced in 2.5 swaps. Everyone I've talked to has said its worth it. Plus i've heard its easier to boost later on which I plan on doing.
92 GS, 210 psi per cylinder KL-101 Engine, Pacesetter Exhaust, Centerforce DF, CAI, Hi Flow Cat, Headers.
By Spring 06: Megasquirt and FPR
By Fall 06: KL-31 Heads with Interprep Cams
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Swap time really depends on who's doing it. I did mine in 1 1/2 days completely by myself. I would think a week wouldn't be an unreasonable estimate if your really new to doing this kind of stuff.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
Macen

Post by Macen »

Took med and two friends a weekend to swap the beast :-)
And it's worth swaping K8 for a KL-DE!
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
zoom zoom zoom

Post by zoom zoom zoom »

wicked fellas! do u know if the k8 front head cover with MAZDA on will go on the KLDE to replace the FORD one? Would this cause problems?
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

i would say that its completely worth it. the valve cover will swap directly over. the only thing different is the name on the top. the swap for me the first time took a lot longer than it did the second time. the only thing i would recomend is changeing the timeing belt while the engine is out. it sucks doing it with it in the car. use the k8's exhaust manifolds too. that way they will bolt directly up to the stock exhaust. another thing to do is replace the clutch. i mean since it already out might as well spend the money and do everything you can so you dont have to pull it later on just for that. use the 2.5's vaf and ecu too.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

it will bolt right up
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

use the K8 flywheel with a PGT clutch too, our flywheel is lighter and will fit the bigger clutch
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Macen

Post by Macen »

This is what I changed:
- Waterpump
- Belts (timing belt, power stearing, generator)
- Fuel hoses
- Oil and oilfilter
- Transmission fluid
- Power stearing fluid
- Front and back oil seal
- Clutch
- K8 flywheel

Remeber that the knock sensor is located to the right (when standing in front of the car looking at the engine) on the KL-DE, and to the left on the K8, so you have to move the cable from right to left to reach the connector.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
zoom zoom zoom

Post by zoom zoom zoom »

u fella are awesome!

I've gone for it and goin to collect the car on sunday!!

What difference in acceleration can i expect when i do the swap.....only thing that is putting me off is the British weather.....its too cold here!!
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Just one or two little issues, possibly.

What year is your MX-3 and what year is the Probe? There are wiring differences between distributors and ECUs.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”