Urgent help needed - Car Start

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Matrix733

Urgent help needed - Car Start

Post by Matrix733 »

Hello all, i have been working on this car for almost two days now. Its a 1993 mx3 1.8l v6.

I replace the engine with a similar one. I tried to start it and it just putt putt and wouldn't start.

I check the timing marks and they were off, i pull it all apart and replace timing belt making sure the cams were align with the marks and the camshaft was also.

I tested this several times by rotating the cam and the marks were aligned as they should.

Put it back together and this time it starts but goes immediatelly to redline, its as if i started the car with my foot fully depress on the pedal and would not let go.

I had to turn it off quickly and there was smoke everywhere.

I have,not attempted to start it as i don't know what to check for other than maybe the throttle stuck open.

any ides on what to check, thanks.
Knowledge Is Power ; Keep Cracking
hgallegos915

Re: Urgent help needed - Car Start

Post by hgallegos915 »

well.what do you mean similar engine? swapped a k8 for a k8? or a 2.5? if its the 2.5 swap you need the 2.5 ecu and possibly the vaf. Also if it floors all the way to redline, possibly your accel cable is stuck, have you checked the tps, did you connect everything back in place.

-hector
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Matrix733

Re: Urgent help needed - Car Start

Post by Matrix733 »

Thanks for your reply, its a k8 for a k8 and it was the throttle stuck open because i had the cable too tight one way, i got it started and it idles between 1500 and 2000 but i was just glad it started. Stiil need to set timing but

had other problems after it started, see next thread - Where is the smoke comming from.

Thanks
Knowledge Is Power ; Keep Cracking

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”