wipers staying on...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mxmaz

wipers staying on...

Post by mxmaz »

I was out and it was raining so i had the wipers on. The rain stopped so i go and turn them in the off position, and they are staying on. Which is pretty annoying on a dry window. I kept checking cause i thought i was going nuts but they are definitely in the off position. Anybody know how to fix this?
IanL
Supporting Member

Re: wipers staying on...

Post by IanL »

It could be the control switch or even a short on the wires, but the most likely cause is the self-parking contact in the wiper motor. That is supposed to open when the wipers reach the park position, if the control switch is to OFF.

To test this, remove the motor harness connector and test INTO the MOTOR for continuity as follows:

Wipers parked: A, B, C all connected, D not connected.

Wipers not parked: A connected to C only, B connected to D only.

To get the wipers to the parked position, I suggest you use the ignition key.

To identify the motor side pins you have to look at the harness side: A is Blue/Black and B is Blue/Yellow on the harness side, C is Blue/White and D is Blue.

If B is connected to D in parked position, the self-parking contact is the problem - I don't know if you have to change the motor, or whether it can be adjusted.

<small>[ November 19, 2004, 04:01 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
mxmaz

Re: wipers staying on...

Post by mxmaz »

Today the wipers aern't staying on anymore, its weird. Lastnight i tried shutting off the car and turning it back on again and they still stayed on. Got a mind of its own..

<small>[ November 19, 2004, 06:33 AM: Message edited by: mxmaz ]</small>

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”