I'm confused, is AWD possible???

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Juans_93_MX3

I'm confused, is AWD possible???

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I'm confused, is AWD possible on Mazda K series engines like the KLZEs, K8s and so on?

I have been doing some research, found some 2 yearold threads talking about putting AWD on a k8 and all those other Mazda K family engines and the answere would always come up as no.

Than I hear some people talk about putting Mazda 323 4WD trannys on a MX3.

I just want a final answere, anyone know anykind of AWD trannys that will work with a GS MX3 (K8s, KLZEs, ect)???
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
papa roached

Re: I'm confused, is AWD possible???

Post by papa roached »

AFAIK there are no AWD trannys that will bolt to the K series motor, and im sure it can be done when you throw enough $ at it
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

If you guys know any, post them up here so I can make a list of them :2thumbsup:
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
KLZE, Fidanza flywheel, KL31 CAMs, South Bend Stage I Clutch, Pacesetter STS, SS AutoChromes, Magnaflow muffler, 2.25' Exhaust, CAI, Blaster Coil HEI, KLDE Valvetrain, 5 Speed Swap
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I belive the b-series 4cyl trannies are somewhat interchangable. The BPT swap that the i4 guys do sometimes comes with the AWD tranny...you could convert your v6 to an i4, than you can change it. The only problem from there is if the axles are long enough and now to get power to the rear wheels
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

I guess I could stick with FWD and a KLZE when I get one.
You know how much power those BPTs are making? I'd rather just go with 200hp and 160ft torque instead of going with a BPT because it'll be way much easier to reach 310hp with just a turbo.
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

No, your'll be lucky to hit 300hp with a turbo on a KLZE, BPT's are somewhere between 190hp and 210hp, BPT's can however hit 500hp
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
No, your'll be lucky to hit 300hp with a turbo on a KLZE, BPT's are somewhere between 190hp and 210hp, BPT's can however hit 500hp
However, I wouldn't assume the 4WD transmission can handle the torque from anything like 500 hp (over 300 lb.ft)
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

pssst.. the T stands for Turbo... ;)
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

If you think that 300WHP is lucky for a ZE then you need to check the Probe and MX-6 forums, or just go to RR-Racing.com and check out Rafi's 300 WHP Probe.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

well actually, it is possible. just look at that 800 hp twin turbo kl engine from austraila. look at the position of the engine in the frame. its rwd. but to get the mx-3 rwd it take lots of money, and to get 800hp would again take lots of money. so i dont think its worth it to try. but if you want too, look at aftermarket transmissions.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Originally posted by PATDIESEL:
If you think that 300WHP is lucky for a ZE then you need to check the Probe and MX-6 forums, or just go to RR-Racing.com and check out Rafi's 300 WHP Probe.
I doubt their ZE's...Rafi is running 9lbs of boost, they are usually DE's, 6 i believe teh max a ZE will be 6psi
Juans_93_MX3

Post by Juans_93_MX3 »

Originally posted by Nd4SpdSe:
Originally posted by PATDIESEL:
I doubt their ZE's...Rafi is running 9lbs of boost, they are usually DE's, 6 i believe teh max a ZE will be 6psi
Wait... DE's can run 9lbs of boost while ZE's can only run 6lbs of boost?
Am I reading this right?
ZE's are the samething as DE's except with better internals yet it cant push as much boost as a DE. I call BS unless I read your post wrong...
2008 Mazda 3
1993 MX3 GS
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

No, you read my post right.

Compression ratio makes the difference (10:1 ZE vs 9.2:1 DE). The higher compression means you can't put as much boost as a lower compression engine, but your gains per psi is more on a higher compression engine.

Don't quote me on the exact numebers that a ZE and DE can handle, but those numbers are the best to my knowledge, the KLDE may be able to hander higher, but i dont know. Those are what i've heard to be the safe. You can probably handle higher, but but it's a risk on stock engines. Looks like people have pushed ZE's upto 10psi, but their average seems to be between 5 and 8psi...and DE's upto 14psi, but there's a difference between turboing a daily driver and turboing a tuned racer, and how long you want your engine to last.

if your lucky = if you have enough money

As they say "Low compression is poor excuse for poor tunning"

<small>[ November 01, 2004, 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</small>
mrspanky79

Post by mrspanky79 »

ZE's are the samething as DE's except with better internals yet it cant push as much boost as a DE. I call BS unless I read your post wrong... [/QB][/QUOTE]

The ze and the de have the same internals excepts piston compresson ratio(piston is more domed)If anything i would put money on the ze being weeker parts. They have lower production standers in japan because the motor dosnt have to last as long. The expeted life of a motor in japan is 1/3 of what they have here.
War does not determine who is right, war determine who is left!

94 mx3 GSX Stroked Turbo'd and Intercooled
99 vitara 4x4
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by mrspanky79:
They have lower production standers in japan because the motor dosnt have to last as long. The expeted life of a motor in japan is 1/3 of what they have here.
Do you have any evidence to backup that assertion about lower production standards?

I find that a very surprising statement, and I question why Japan has such a thriving market in exporting used cars to countries which, like Japan, have the steering on the right, if it were indeed true.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”