Compression test..what now

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Compression test..what now

Post by schuttie2002 »

Well I took the morning off of work cause my cars been burning a little bit of oil lately and I wanted to know what was up so i tested the compression. My results were very wierd the 1st time so i did it twice. my average was 212 psi. my car has 190xxx mi on it so i was shocked. after adding a teaspoon of oil to each cyclinder my average was 235. what the hell is going on. Stock psi is like 193 so whats the deal. How am i burning oil if my compression is so high. Would a Valve cover gasket be that leaky. Also could it be the valve seats. Is there any better way to determine if I need a valve job?
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/698108
Tyler17rose

Re: Compression test..what now

Post by Tyler17rose »

You can get "wet" compression when your rings are gone and oil is sealing them better then they did stock. This creats awsome compression and power but at the same time your burning oil, and most times ALOT of it.
Mods:
- ZE, Mike seli 214 intake cams, Ported n polished heads, Interprep valve springs, DE retainers, rebuilt bottom end, toga main and rod bearings, toga hv oil pump, CZT 67mm tb, mbx udp, ported intake mani, SS headers, 2.5inch full exhaust, racingbeat muffler, highflow cat, megasquirt v2.

new toy, 86 TII rx7, JDM S5 motor/turbo, + alot of other goodies
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

Yea I don't think its that bad, its only a puff of smoke everynow and again when i start up. i use about a qt every 800 - 1000 miles.
93 GS-DE,mx6 tranny, obx 2nd gen headers, highflow cat n 2.25" catback, 65mm tb,CAI, mazdaspeed mounts, SPEC Stage I clutch kit, new K8 flywheel, SRD C.A.B., Intrax, S.T. braces
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Valve Seals are worn. I wouldn't worry about it with that many miles.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
schuttie2002
Supporting Member

Post by schuttie2002 »

yea thats what direction i was leaning in as well. the price of a valve job and a head set would be about the price of a new klde so looks like i have my winter project :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”