klo3 IM on K8

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
aggressivemx

klo3 IM on K8

Post by aggressivemx »

can you put the KLO3 IM on the K8 for power gains. kinda like the ZE IM On the 03.
Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drum
killerpickle

Re: klo3 IM on K8

Post by killerpickle »

I would have to say, probably not. The ports would not match up. And create a lot of turbulance. It would be like a bottle neck.
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

fits fine, tight against the firewall though. Thats what my avatar is.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

ya really couldnt lose anything :p
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by papa roached:
ya really couldnt lose anything :p
I agree with killerpickle on this one. What he says is good fluid-flow theory. So no, you will lose.

Look at it another way. Mazda is in business to make money. If they could have standardised on one IM for all the K-series engines, it would have lowered their costs, the customers would have been just as happy to pay the same price, and the profit would have appeared on the bottom line. So why didn't they do that? I'd say its because each IM has to be tailored to the job to maximise performance/minimise losses and keep the customers happy.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by killerpickle:
I would have to say, probably not. The ports would not match up. And create a lot of turbulance. It would be like a bottle neck.
What're you talking about? It matches up fine.
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

are you saying that the inside diameter of the klde intake manifold is the same as the inside diameter of the k8 intake manifold?
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Referring to the runners, its fits fine.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by killerpickle:
are you saying that the inside diameter of the klde intake manifold is the same as the inside diameter of the k8 intake manifold?
No, it's not. But the heads on the K8 are larger than the runners on a K8 intake manifold. KFZE or KLDE intake manifolds are about the same size as the heads on the K8, which is also the same size head port as a KF (especially since alot of KF's use K8 heads on a KF block) and KLDE. So it'd actually be closer to port matched to fit a KLDE or KFZE intake manfold on a K8 head.
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

like i said, aint really gonna lose anything :p , might wanna figure up a VIRS controller for that setup though
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

Keep your k8 IM on, just replace your throttle body. If you yank your k8 throttle body off you will see that it is much smaller than the klde (kl03) throttle body. Putting the klde IM on will throw off your VRIS points, in addition, adding a klde is in no way shape or form worth spending the money since you would have to to purchase a VRIS controller to see any gains. Even then I'm not too sure you would see any benefit.
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”