Hydro locking

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Micv

Hydro locking

Post by Micv »

Should i be concerned about hydro locking because of my new CAI. The filter is placed right above the splash shield next to the gearbox. (the space right under were the original filter box used to be).
atlantamx3
Supporting Member

Re: Hydro locking

Post by atlantamx3 »

Yes.
~Perry
Please visit
http://www.mx3-atlanta.com
Micv

Post by Micv »

Seriously ? Is there anything i can do ?
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

dont put in a CAI is an easy one
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

It'd depend on what the ground clearance of the filter is. My clearance is over a foot, so I'm not worried about it. I don't recall ever even attempting to drive through water more than 6" deep. And my filter's also in a place where it's nearly impossible to splash water onto the filter.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

make a hood scoop or if you can somehow make it so that the cold air comes in tru the side fender but i doubt its easy. I messed up my maxima like that, sucked in water..drove for 2 weeks..started sputtering alot and boom died :/ the something happens to the oil rings..i think they expand with water and break down. anywho...well another easy solution..dont drive it on water :) or have the stock intake handy for when it rrains. Get a cone intake...theres like a 1 hp difference between the 2.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

i know i had mine just above the splash gaurd and i rad through a puddle and i sucked up a whole bunch of water and killed my engine. just be very very careful where you drive. i know i will be when my car runs again.
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by papa roached:
dont put in a CAI is an easy one
Variation on that very sensible theme: Fit a K&N replacement filter element in the standard box; I reckon the difference between that and a "CAI" is 1 to 2 HP at the most.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

but but.. the cool sound... :2thumbsup:
Marlon

Post by Marlon »

when dose your car go in water that is more then a foot deep?
don't worry about it, just stay away from lakes and HUGE puddles
1993 MX-3 GS V6 - Stock
2004 MazdaSpeed MX-5
2004 RX-8 - Project
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by bmwm3guy:
but but.. the cool sound... :2thumbsup:
Yeah sure, but the sound of all those $$$ exiting the wallet to fix the damage.... :sadwavey:
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

this is blown out of proportion.
Ask yourself this. How many cases have you heard of hydro locking with a "reasonable" cold air intake? Myself? none. How many people do I know or with cold air intakes? Way too many. I believe if you use common sense and not drive through lakes you will be 100% okay.

You know, I've heard more cases of snakes slithering up into your engine bay looking for heat, and getting wrapped around your belts.
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
aggressivemx

Post by aggressivemx »

you could always get an AEM air bypass valve, if water comes in your intake the valve collects it before it gets in your engine
Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of the War Drum
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by killerpickle:
this is blown out of proportion....
It's a matter of risk vs benefit. I don't see the minimal benefit as worth the risk :(

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”