Coolant spitting from overflow tank

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
cashmoneyspeed

Coolant spitting from overflow tank

Post by cashmoneyspeed »

I noticed the coolant overflow tank was overflowing when the car was hot(gausge at half way). When the car cooled down, it sucked the overflow tank dry. I just replaced the thermostat and changed the coolant. It's still doing the same thing. What could be causing this? air in the lines?
SOLD - 93 GS Custom intake, exhaust, phenolic spacers, port matching, front upper strut bar, 17" wheels, dragon body graphics, black/white interior, sound system, tints, altezza tails & 3rd brake altezza, g-force front

'94 Caprice - rolling fast and low on 20's along with some custom goodies

'86 Regal - Hydraulics, custom wheels, custom paint, shaved, phantom top, leather, power, and lots of chrome

'92 - New import project in the works, should be out in '09
cashmoneyspeed

Re: Coolant spitting from overflow tank

Post by cashmoneyspeed »

Does the pwer steering belt also run the water pump? Because i have an issue of the coolant boiling over in the overflow tank also. (sure would kill 2 birds with one stone if it does)
SOLD - 93 GS Custom intake, exhaust, phenolic spacers, port matching, front upper strut bar, 17" wheels, dragon body graphics, black/white interior, sound system, tints, altezza tails & 3rd brake altezza, g-force front

'86 Regal - Hydraulics, custom wheels, custom paint, shaved, phantom top, leather, power, and lots of chrome

guyaverage

Post by guyaverage »

Replace the radiator cap. If that doesnt do it the most likely cause would be a blown head gasket (combustion gases are leaking past the bad gasket and overpressurizing the cooling system).
"The answer is: More power. I dont care what the question is."
-Tim Allen
killerpickle

Post by killerpickle »

could also be a leak in the upper rad hose, causing your system to refill itself using the extra in the overflow tank. THis happened to me, my car would appear to overheat, the gauge would shoot up, but would be back to normal after I pulled over.
Tom Alexander
93 MX3 GSR - KLZE / stage 3 clutch / PRM Intake / 2.25" exhaust - dual 3" outlet
full custom black and red interior / KLZE ECU / JE50 VAF
http://home.cogeco.ca/~mx3/ - updated dec 1/03
cashmoneyspeed

Post by cashmoneyspeed »

Thanks for the ideas, but i think due to the power steering belt being missing in action, the water pump is not being turned.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”