Emissions problem :(

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
kev259

Emissions problem :(

Post by kev259 »

I just got my klze put in a month ago, (replaced a couple things(New o2 sensors, etc.) I went to get the exaust put on today and get the emission's done...Well it failed off the charts. I have a magnaflow cat, and hotshot headers. I came back home, checked the computer and it came up with code 24 and 17, which are both o2 sensors! This all happened after I had the cat and muffler put on. Any ideas?
'92 MX-3 KLZE
'04 Subaru STI
TsiMiata

Re: Emissions problem :(

Post by TsiMiata »

You didn't go with single wire O2's did you?
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
kev259

Post by kev259 »

Man I didn't, I was a little confused with the whole thing :( I just went out and checked it looks like all the wires are hooked up right...
'92 MX-3 KLZE
'04 Subaru STI
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

are you using ngk universals?

if so go to this link: Here

and hook up the wires like case #2 the exact same colors are found on your stock wiring so just reference it and hook it up like that
kev259

Post by kev259 »

They are bosch, I checked it out and looks like all the colors are good. My ratings were...
15 mph...HC ppm limit 119, my readin 587
co% limit .67 my reading 11.09
The NO ppm passed real low so that not the problem...Could this be my o2 sensors messing up?
'92 MX-3 KLZE
'04 Subaru STI
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Are those at idle, 2500 RPM, what? I'd clear those codes and drive around and try and pull codes again.

What O2 sensors did you use? Universal 4 wire or with OEM plug? If Universal, did you solder the contact points? Or just those stupid retarded connectors that come with Bosch universals? I don't trust those connectors because you can't even see if you're making full contact.

Then, if you eliminate the O2 sensors, I'd pull the timing cover off and go over your timing marks. Check them once, check em twice, check em thrice.

<small>[ September 03, 2004, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: lakersfan1 ]</small>
kev259

Post by kev259 »

Yeah I used the universal one with 4 wires...Maybe I should use something else besides the wire harness? I'll give that a try tomorrow see what happens...thanks
'92 MX-3 KLZE
'04 Subaru STI
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by kev259:
Yeah I used the universal one with 4 wires...Maybe I should use something else besides the wire harness? I'll give that a try tomorrow see what happens...thanks
I used solder and heatshrink, followed by sliding the stock expandable sleeving back over the wires.
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

what VAF are you using because if you are using the K8 you will get those codes.
kev259

Post by kev259 »

The VAF I have is whatever came with the car...I have a jspec ecu, but everything else is the same.
'92 MX-3 KLZE
'04 Subaru STI
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by Si:
what VAF are you using because if you are using the K8 you will get those codes.
So using the correct VAF will give you codes?
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

when I put my KLZE in it ran great for a little while around town with the K8 VAF but horrible mileage on gas - I went on the highway and codes came up after I was cruising for about 20 minutes & they were the O2 sensors - shortly after I did my emmissions test in BC and failed. It was recommended that I buy a VAF from a KLDE 2.5 which is what I did and evreything was then perfect.

Only trying to help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SimonPK

Post by SimonPK »

when I put my KLZE in it ran great for a little while around town with the K8 VAF but horrible mileage on gas - I went on the highway and codes came up after I was cruising for about 20 minutes & they were the O2 sensors - shortly after I did my emmissions test in BC and failed. It was recommended that I buy a VAF from a KLDE 2.5 which is what I did and evreything was then perfect.

Only trying to help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Which ECU are you using?
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
kev259

Post by kev259 »

It's a kl07(from a probe but with a modied jpec chip...)I'm going to redo the wiring, but should I look into the vaf for a 2.5?
'92 MX-3 KLZE
'04 Subaru STI

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”