Exedy Clutch on KLZE?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
greenstorm

Exedy Clutch on KLZE?

Post by greenstorm »

I was thinking about buying an exedy clutch because they are "supposed to be better than stock" but are they good enough for a KLZE? the price difference between that and ACT is nearly 150 dollars so If i can get away with this it could save me money. Would it last at all?
what kind of car IS that?
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Re: Exedy Clutch on KLZE?

Post by babyblueMX3 »

There are'nt to many people here that got that clutch..I heard it was a good REPLACEMENT clutch for a k8 but personnaly I wouldn't put that on my ZE..just save the cash on go for the act, centerforce or bully
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

i went ACT but havnt driven enough to give a review, but it is a bit stiff of a clutch, but i like a stiff clutch
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I have an ACT and it sucks. Way too firm and harsh engagement. Now that mine is broken in, its possible to slip it, but if your are starting out on a hill, you are bound to either create harsh shock to your gearbox (trying to slip it foward) or to spin wheels (engaging fast). It gets old fast and royally sucks if you drive in city traffic a lot. Not to mention the pedal is literally at least 5 times stiffer than the stock clutch.

If i did it again, i'd get a clutchmasters or exedy. I know a couple ppl who ran a exedy on their ZE with over 30k miles of use and never reported a problem.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
papa roached

Post by papa roached »

i can slip mine fine and i have 3 miles on it, dont know what is wrong with yours
93 MX-3 GS (collecting parts for Eunos Presso conversion), 94 626 Transmission (4.10 gears), KL31 camed KL-ZE, Millenia intake, Millenia TB, SSAutochrome V2 headers, Magnaflow cat, 2 1/4 in pipe, Top Speed Pro 1 muffler, 9lb Fidanza Flywheel, ACT clutch, Corksport SS clutch line, Corksport SS brake lines, Unorthadox UDP, 255 lph fuel pump, HEI mod, ghetto-charger intake, KL36 ECU, SRD transverse crossmember bushings, SRD shifter extention bushing, SRD crossmember, Corksport bronzoil shifter bushings, Brembo Crossdrilled and Slotted rotors, 15 inch Konig Heliums, ZX-2 S/R struts, Eibach lowering springs, OEM front strut bar, Ebay rear strut bar, BFGoodrich G-Force T/A KDWs

Parts needing installed: turbo kit from BB (if i ever get it), 9.0:1 CR Diamond pistons, 4340 forged H beam rods, C/J-Spec spoiler, Nissan red tops in KL rails
http://www.cardomain.com/id/blazejeremy
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

i've driven pats (patdiesels) klze mx3 and he has the ACT clutch and personally to me its extremely stiff, not to mention its sorta hard to deal with in your normal traffic conditions.

Now on my car i have a Stage IIR by clutchmaster and it goes in an out like a stock clutch and when you need the gripping clutch power its there when you drop it, it grabs!
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Double check the torque ratiing of the Exedy, I don't think that they can handle the torque of the ZE. Especially if you mod it at all. I have the ACT and love it.... untill I get into traffic. It is stiff and will wear you out quick. I can slip it just fine and really like theperformance feal that it gives the clutch. So if you want stock feal get the Clutchmasters or if you want a racy feal get the ACT.

Gro Harlem, have you adjusted the free play in the pedal? It will give you more room in the pedal to slip it. J-Dog and I adjusted mine and it helped me to be able to slip it it alot easier. Before the adjustment I would have said the same thing you did.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
MX3ze@7psi

Post by MX3ze@7psi »

I have exceedy clutch on mine ZE. I had it installed when I had my KF-ZE in. Works great! Now did KL-ZE swap and still using the same clutch. Put over 20,000 on it and still holding up. :)
MX3 KL-DE, probe/mx6 ebay turbo pipes, T3/T4 50 trim @ 8psi, millenia injectors, SAFC2, intercooled,Greddy RS BOV, turbonetic 38mm external wastegate. Wisco 9.5 forged piston, millenia S rods, and high performance rings coiming in soon. Shooting for 400whp this summer.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by PATDIESEL:
Double check the torque ratiing of the Exedy, I don't think that they can handle the torque of the ZE.
What? I thought the ZE made pretty much the same torque as a KLDE? What's the big deal? I would think since those Exedy's are supposed to handle small shots of nitrous on KLDE's you'd be absolutely fine on a KLZE with one as long as you don't drive like a jack hole. I know people with OEM Exeddys for other cars that do fine at the 1/4 mile track without any major slippage.
Street-Import
Supporting Member

Post by Street-Import »

Exedy arent only oem clutches, you can buy them with different stage and the bigger ones will handle a ZE for sure. They are very popular in drag racing and specialized hardcore clutches. We are not talking about the 90$ clutch Exedy they sell on ebay here ;)
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by Street-Import:
We are not talking about the 90$ clutch Exedy they sell on ebay here ;)
You sure? I think those OEM's for the Probe are more like $150 shipped for the whole kit, and he said the ACT were $150 more than the Exedy he was looking at. I know Exedy makes racing clutches....jsut thought he was talking about the 2.5 OEM clutch. :shrug:
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

yah dood, I did EVERYTHING you can do to make sure I had the clutch engage about 50% from the travel.

When I first installed it, I couldn't shift b/c the clutch would engage slightly when I tried starting it (if it was in gear when starting & me depressing the clutch, the car would lurch forward like an automatic car).

SO i got a earl's SS clutchline, and bought some rod-stock and cut a longer rod for the slave cylider so it would press more against the clutch engagement fork. I also adjusted the pedal travel way out on the interior of the car and finally, i got the pedal in a perfect position.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

yup, im talking about the cheap ebay one, the replacement exedy clutch...
greenstorm

Post by greenstorm »

looks like the standard clutchmasters clutch is only 130.... might be a better value?

EDIT
Looks like the stage one is 309 dollars... ouch... it was only listed under mx-3 precidia :/

anyways exedy or clutchmastards standard?

<small>[ August 07, 2004, 05:45 AM: Message edited by: Patrick Halacy ]</small>
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

i got the exedy.. works fine. its the ebay one too.. been prolly around 800-1000 miles so far on the ZE and it pulls fine, i guess i should wait longer. but yea.. pulls perfectly and feels only a little stiffer than the oem mx3 one ;)
92 Autozam AZ3

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”