Cold Air Intake Questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
cyberphox

Cold Air Intake Questions

Post by cyberphox »

Got 95 MX-3 GS 6 cylinder and looking to add a cold air intake. From what I understand my options are either getting the PRM one from corksport or the cheaper Acura one. I see the Acura one going on Ebay alot cheaper then PSItuning. My question is I heard you need to remove the front bumper to install the Acura one, is this correct?
95 GS Silver Stone Metalic
RoundTop

Re: Cold Air Intake Questions

Post by RoundTop »

Well, to do the PRN intake you need to remove the bumper if you wanna really do it nicely. But only 4 screws and 2 bolts hold it on, so it is easy to take off the bumper.

The acura intake it depends if you are trying to do a cold intake or engine compartment intake.
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

I really dont see why you would need to remove your bumper to install an intake (The Acura one anyways)... Only if you want to cut a hole in the hole behind your headlight would you need to remove the bumper. Other than that, it is REALLY easy. I installed the Acura one, and it took me like 2 hours and that was not rushing (Couple chit-chat breaks) and without removing any body part/panels. Go for it and do what you gotta do to make it the way you want it :shrug:

<small>[ August 05, 2004, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: bmwm3guy ]</small>
DJ

Post by DJ »

How does the acura one sound? Do they all pretty much end up sounding the same? Any performance increase or decrease?
Teal_93

Post by Teal_93 »

Which Acura intake are you guys talking about?
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

90-93 cold air intake..they sell tons on ebay..and that where I got mine..check on my site page 4 for more info
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

Originally posted by DJ:
How does the acura one sound? Do they all pretty much end up sounding the same? Any performance increase or decrease?
Yea they all sound the same... the only performance difference would be if the piping was smaller than the TB (Because air can only travel as fast as it can through the smallest part of the intake), or if the Cone was more restrictive. CAI's are pretty much all the same.
Neil

Post by Neil »

If you order the CAI from PSItuning or get the Integra intake from eBay just be careful if you have AC.. I had to slightly move the AC line to get the filter to fit in the fender. Other than that the only hard part was getting the rubber adapters on the VAF and Intake Manifold.. Cutting the pipe is easy and it works great and sounds nice. Hope this helps
Ever notice anyone driving slower than you is an idiot and anyone driving faster than you is a maniac?
01-03 Civic Projector Swap Tutorial
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by bmwm3guy:
... the only performance difference would be if the piping was smaller than the TB (Because air can only travel as fast as it can through the smallest part of the intake), or if the Cone was more restrictive....
Er, not quite, there's no speed limit as such. You would get more pressure loss through a narrower pipe, but the air would simply speed up through that narrower portion. At constant rpm, it's the mass flow through the system that stays constant, not the velocity.

That's why you can have too large an exhaust pipe - the velocity will drop as the diameter increases.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”