Custom Cold AIr Intake install questons

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
MHMX-3

Custom Cold AIr Intake install questons

Post by MHMX-3 »

Just purchased the custom intake from street-import.com and they sent me the website(I think its babybluemx) that has the install instructions. In the steps it says to remove the three vaccuum hoses. First, which hoses are those, and where do they connect, or what purpose do they serve as far as the cold air intake goes? Looking at the pictures they dont connect to anything. And while you are at it, what are the avg. horsepower gains from this mod? Thanks guys
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Re: Custom Cold AIr Intake install questons

Post by Mnemonic »

im sure the install is similar to any of the CAI one should go into your CAI still, then i capped the other 2 off. the one that still goes into your CAI is the vacum line that comes off of your IM right behind the TB on the rear of the IM.

the Hp gains will be about 5bhp you may gain a hair more but thats about what the adverage gain when using a CAI is.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

5hp!?!? maybe if your routing the cone into an icebox... Id say you can hope for 2-3hp increase at most. The main reason i did this mod is to have a cool sound, and to clean up the engine bay a bit.

A Cold Air Inake wont give you horsepower, all it will do is save you from losing it once your engine heats up. It will also give you a bit better gas milage because of the new cone. Ive heard before that for every 10 degrees cooler, you gain roughly 1HP.. I dont know how true that is, but it sounds realistic to me.
Talon_66

Post by Talon_66 »

Glad to hear u got your CAI.
Did it come with everything needed for the install? Like the Filter, or did u have to purchase one.

<small>[ July 28, 2004, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: Talon_66 ]</small>
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

the kit form Street-Import (which is now PSItuning.ca) comes with everything you need but the rubber adapters. The adapters are an extra 36$CAD.
DJester187

Post by DJester187 »

Originally posted by bmwm3guy:
Ive heard before that for every 10 degrees cooler, you gain roughly 1HP..
does anyone know how true that is?
Electric Black '93 MX-3 GSR, Curved neck KLZE, KL36 ecu, Outlaw Engineering Thermal Spacers, Custom CAI, Carbon Fiber Invader Style hood, 2.25" straight pipe exhaust, custom muffler, lowered 1.8", and a set of 17" Exel DL-46's. With more to come once I get some $$$....
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Originally posted by Mike H:
Just purchased the custom intake from street-import.com and they sent me the website(I think its babybluemx) that has the install instructions. In the steps it says to remove the three vaccuum hoses. First, which hoses are those, and where do they connect, or what purpose do they serve as far as the cold air intake goes? Looking at the pictures they dont connect to anything. And while you are at it, what are the avg. horsepower gains from this mod? Thanks guys
on your new intake it should have 2 nipple..on big andn one small..the big connects where originally the stock one did..and the small one is for the egr solenoid..some of us hava cap it since we don't use it but if you do plug it (IIRC the little vacuum was directly plug on the oem box)
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Current car : Golf 01 GTI 1.8T (15 psi)
fry_81

Post by fry_81 »

i heard that too, it might not be exactly that (-10 degree's=1hp) but its most likely around that.
1994 5spd GS Parts Car For Sale 800obo. e-mail for details. fry_81@hotmail.com
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Originally posted by bmwm3guy:
The main reason i did this mod is to have a cool sound
Noise what noise? You cant hear the CAI unless your hood is up, well atleast i cant. Of cource you cant hear anything over my exhaust :)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

you can't ??? well mine is so loud..you can even hear it when my ehaust sounds the loudest and beleive me it's loud..and I don't know if it's my 67mm TB but it does a whisstle sound when 50% throttle :)
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

do you have yours pushed down into the hole on the fender?

koreanmx-er

Post by koreanmx-er »

i ordered my intake from ebay but its still the 90-93 integra cai , i didnt think it made much sense to put the filter in the small enclosed spot behind the headlight , where would the cold air be coming from? so i just put it going down towards the splash shield like the prm does , and yes the sounds makes your engine sound like a monster, and im still puzzled on how to plug that smaller house outlet on the first pipe connected to the tb , i suppose i'll just have to plug it up somehow :shrug: , and thanks babyblue for your write up on the intake install , i did it a lil diffrently but it helped THANKS! :2thumbsup:
sold the mx-3 , bought 04 gtp comp g , from the smallest v6 to one of the biggest 3800 s/c FTW
babyblueMX3
Supporting Member

Post by babyblueMX3 »

Originally posted by Mnemonic:
do you have yours pushed down into the hole on the fender?
yeah mine is behind the heahlight in the fender well...I cut two big holes.. one in front (around 6" in diameter) in another one on the bottom (around 4-5" diameter)...I have Pak front so there's already a hole in the bumper that is directly in front of the one i cut in the well :)
trust me guys there plenty of fresh air coming it's way
RIP 400whp ZE-T MX-3
bmwm3guy

Post by bmwm3guy »

I can hear my CAI too very easily... It groans when you give it gas... awesome sound :2thumbsup:
koreanmx-er

Post by koreanmx-er »

well then that makes a lot more sense then . i would probably go that route now but i dont have the tools to do that handy , thanks for the explanation tho :idea:
sold the mx-3 , bought 04 gtp comp g , from the smallest v6 to one of the biggest 3800 s/c FTW

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”