difference between jap klze and american klze

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
jaknichols85

difference between jap klze and american klze

Post by jaknichols85 »

what exactly is the difference between the 2 engines, other than hp and tq. i know the cams, the head and the intake manifold, but im not sure if there is more. thanks
Talon_66

Re: difference between jap klze and american klze

Post by Talon_66 »

search
93 GS, KLZE, KL31 ECU, Centerforce Stg 3 Clutch, 2.25" Exhaust w/Flowmaster muffler, OBX Headers, Pheno Spacers, Front & rear X-drilled/slotted Rotors, KVR pads, SS brake & clutch lines, Ractive Filter, H&R Springs, Tokico Blue Struts, 8mm Accel Wires, MSD 6A w/ Blaster 2 Coil, HVAC Indiglo Panel. *Sold*
06 Eclipse GT *Sold*
08 Evo X GSR *Current*
mx3man83

Post by mx3man83 »

No such thing as an American KLZE. There is an American Kl03.
KLZE=JDM, 10:1compression pistons, more aggressive cams, no egr, external coil ignition system, rectangular intake ports on head, rectangular intake runners on intake manifold, and a huge kick in the a$$. 197-200 hp
KL03=ASPEC, 9:1 compression pistons(most), less aggressive cams, egr, internal coil ignition system, D shaped intake ports on head(most), D shaped intake runners on intake manifold(most), and a slight kick in the a$$. 164-1701hp

<small>[ July 17, 2004, 08:27 PM: Message edited by: mx3man83 ]</small>
Combat kit, Spectra blue paint, shaved, Black ADR flite 4 17's/ Yokahama ES 100's, straight through 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, CAI, Straight neck IM KLZE, poly filled motor mounts, Kl48/ Eprom chip, black altezzas, Wet Zex 75 shot, Walbro 255 fuel pump, Cosmo AFPR, GS SE all black interior, RF 1kbd amp, RF 12 HE2's (2), US acoustics 4 channel amp
My Cardomain site
Tempus

Post by Tempus »

Isn't it technically KLDE

KL basic engine series
D Double overhead cam
E Electronic Fuel Injection

Someone correct me if this is wrong, but I thought I read that 'KL03' is a misnomer based on some of the numbers on the block or other parts..
{sigh} Time to move on
Out with the old: Tropical Emerald MX-3 GSR (KL-DE)
In with the new: Phantom Blue Mazda3s GT
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

K stands for the K-series V6 engine family

L stands for 2.5 liters

D = dohc

E = electronic fuel inj.

the Z means "performance model".

J stands for 2.3, F stands for 2.0 and 8 for 1.8

And ya, ppl who call it a kl03 are mislead & incorrect. I see lots of ppl call their BPZE's BP05's too b/c that is what is stamped on the engine block.
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Yes, KL03 is wrong, KLDE is right. Common error.

Also newer KLZEs come with 9.2CR and 187 hp, see this link . They are all from Millenias, so have the curved neck manifold, which is not an MS8 manifold - another common error.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

Hmm, I thought the DE meant domestic engine.

Anyway, how "new" of a ZE in a Millenia would have the lower CR? Did you see any production years?
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by CHANKO:
I don't think so - that engine is in cars sold all over Europe as well as North America. If it was "domestic" the domicile would be Japan!
Anyway, how "new" of a ZE in a Millenia would have the lower CR? Did you see any production years?
I don't know - but I know a man who might - ask on http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/mazdamx-3owners/ ; you may get a reply from Vaughn.
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

There is also the millenia engine in addition to the small port MX-6/probe engines. The millenia is essentially a ZE with different cams and pistons. Not sure if the us millenia engine has a different desigination than the probe motor though.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

1998 KLDE MX-6/Probe and 626: 170 hp @6000, 163 ft lb @ 5000
1998 KLDE Millenia (N America) : 170 hp @5800, 160 ft lb @ 4800

<small>[ July 19, 2004, 01:34 AM: Message edited by: IanL ]</small>
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

I never really bought the Hp rating of the millenia. It has the better intake and heads but yet makes the same power as the normal klde? You can bolt a millenia intake manifold on a probe engine and gain 8-10 wheel hp. Would make you think the millenia should make 8-10hp more at least.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

Originally posted by IanL:
I don't think so - that engine is in cars sold all over Europe as well as North America. If it was "domestic" the domicile would be Japan!
Yea, what I was trying to say but a lot better! I thought that people mistakeningly called it the KL-"DE" (and DE meant Domestic Engine). Anyway, you're right, it wouldn't make any sense to localize the KL-"DE" to N. America.
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

Originally posted by TsiMiata:
I never really bought the Hp rating of the millenia. It has the better intake and heads but yet makes the same power as the normal klde? You can bolt a millenia intake manifold on a probe engine and gain 8-10 wheel hp. Would make you think the millenia should make 8-10hp more at least.
At a guess, the difference lies in the camshafts. Put a MX-6 camshaft in a Millenia engine and then measure....

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”