hard to describe sound

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
chris83

hard to describe sound

Post by chris83 »

Well I just replaced two rear struts and a wheel bearing..doing another wheel bearing this weekend (all rear)

BEFORE and AFTER I replaced all this, I had this squeeking sound.. Pretty sure it comes from the front end, im not 100% though. The sound? well its like everytime the tire rotates to a certain point it will squeek, the faster you go.. the faster it squeeks...the slow you go, the slower it squeeks but it is louder the slower you go.

Anyone have any clue on what this is? something rubbing against the wheel? break pads? what? :(
chris83

Re: hard to describe sound

Post by chris83 »

i mean squeak :(
:mad:

Normally I wouldnt care, but the sound im pretty sure can be heard from outside..thus its embarassing
PATDIESEL
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by PATDIESEL »

Is the noise all the time? Could be brakes slightly locked up, or maybe the bearing, feel for heat on the hub or can you wiggle the wheel when the car is jacked up. Hold the top and bottom and try to push the top in and then the bottom in, if it will wiggle then you need new bearings anyway.
ZE -strait neck,headers,2.5 exhaust,pheno spacers,lower cross member,GC coils,MS struts,Brembo slotted rotors,filled MS mounts,SS brake/clutch lines, CAI,to rear bat reloc,Hella headlamps,Hella DE fogs 180WHP
mazdubber

Post by mazdubber »

Same thing happened to me. It's probably the C.V.
92 GS
'Stock'... :twisted:
chris83

Post by chris83 »

ya I just remembered if I turn the wheel fast..its loud when I turn left..so its definatly the right side..I HOPE its the rear wheel bearing im replacing..and not the front.

is the front changeable at home?
ccreech

Post by ccreech »

I had a screeching noise coming from my right front and it was the dust guard/wheel shield rubbing against the rotor. It too was worse when I would turn the wheel a certain way. Jack up the car with the e-brake on and the car out of gear and spin the wheel by hand to see if you can tell where its coming from. I don't know if that is the kind of noise you are hearing or not.
93 GS KLZE Straight Neck (Parked)
Green Turd of MOCA
Car Domain
chris83

Post by chris83 »

ok so I lied.. it apparently doesnt go away even if I turn left or right (but its HARD to say, cause im driving at the time)

but it does go away when I brake
chris83

Post by chris83 »

I guess ill check the shields when I can.

I also think it might be warped rotor(s) ?
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Originally posted by Volo:
I guess ill check the shields when I can.

I also think it might be warped rotor(s) ?
If your rotors were warped, you'd most likely feel a front end rotational "chatter" sensation every time you applied the brakes. That would be the pads intermittently grabbing a warped rotor.

Listen to da mazdubber for he is wise on this... Sounds to be most likely cause is your outer passenger side CV joint wearing out. That's why it's louder when you turn sharp left cuz the outer right-side CV is under greatest stress then. Outer right-side CV's wear out the most often anyway, since the half-axle on that side is twice the length of the left side and so the right side CV literally travels farther than the shorter left side during the life of the car. Hope that's described well enough to make sense.

btw, CV's going bad can make all kinds of weird noises too. Sometimes they squeak or clunk or tick or click or chatter or grind or crunch real nastylike. That is when they can get mean too and if ya get to close to one that's REALLY pissed off, well... just watch yourself or that sucka might tear your effing head off. Important safety tip... :) :roll:

<small>[ July 14, 2004, 10:01 AM: Message edited by: perhapsadingo8yerbaby ]</small>
chris83

Post by chris83 »

Like I said, I just tried it .. and the sound isnt any louder if I turn (before I thought it was)

but I will wait until Tonight when its really quiet outside and take it for a drive again.
Macen

Post by Macen »

I think I have the same problem. When I turn right it sounds clunking/ticking. Tried to "shake" the left rotor, and it's not solid like the other side. My friend told me that it must be the wheelbearing. I checked the CV joint, and it was a.ok.
Going to order a wheelbearing tomorrow and mount it on friday. Hope it will solve my problem.
Black '93 GS-RL KL-DE
White '95 RX-7 Type R Bathurst
http://macen.nullnet.com
chris83

Post by chris83 »

Hmmmm I got the brakes hot, (the front left seem to be hotter then the right)

and took it to a car wash with cold water, the sound is gone?.. who knows how long its gone for though, I drove it till it was dry,and still not back.

Be nice if it was just a rock or some bull**** :p ....but we all know MX-3 Owners are never that lucky, it will be back.
chris83

Post by chris83 »

and the front left gave off alot of steam compared to the front right, when I washed it
sideshow

Post by sideshow »

Brakes: Cheap brakes will give you a "squeak squeak squeak squeak" all the time UNTIL you apply the brake and then it will go away. I was told by a very reliable mechanic that this will NOT hurt the rotors or anything but may drive me crazy :) It's a result of cheap brakes and when you have the brakes replaced just have better brakes put on.

CV: CV is a clicking noise that you will hear when going around a corner UNDER POWER. If you coast the corner you probably won't hear it. I did the CV twice in my Honda and now my MX3 needs it. Always the same symptoms (clicking going around a corner under power). Note that sometimes you can't see a problem with the CV for this to be happening (often there's a tear in the boot but not necessarily).

HTH
MX#3

Post by MX#3 »

I have the same thing and I have warped rotor on the left side.
Do you have any vibration when you're slowing down?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”