need urgent help with timing belt

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

need urgent help with timing belt

Post by Dali »

just doing the klze swap today, had some friends helping out, two of them decide to pull the timing belt off, the pistons were not set and neither were the marking on the cams, now i need to know where the markings are on the block. the cams have little paint marks on them, the rear one has two little triangle marks on the block and the front has nothing that i can see. need to have this motor back into the car by sunday morning so help would be appreciated alot, thanks.
1993 White gs klze.
lakersfan1

Re: need urgent help with timing belt

Post by lakersfan1 »

hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Well, just set the engine to TDC (top dead center) meaning piston one is all the way to the top. It should be marked on the block. you can also use a long straw and remove the no 1 plug and putnthe straw there to check when the pistomn is up. Try not to turn it alot o.0 since valves can be bent. Also..why did ur friend do that? was the belt old?? make sure u align al the timing marks. Get a manual (book) for this car!! even better..get someone that knows very well (mechanic) to set it to correct timing. DONT crank the engine. it will bend the valves. If you do bend them ..sell me ur shoft block :p ha jk. YEah just align it properly.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by hgallegos915:
DONT crank the engine. it will bend the valves.
No it won't. Not on any K series Mazda engine.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

REALLY ? woah thats a relief :o well just in case my belt snaps like it did on a dohc engine i used to have. WOW so eally it wont bend them??? this is to good to be true!
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by hgallegos915:
WOW so eally it wont bend them???
No. K series engines are 'non interference' engines, so even if the belt snaps at full blast, you shouldn't damage any valves or pistons.
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Post by Dali »

thanks guys, i replaced it when i woke up the next morning, pretty easy once i remembered what to do, amazing what some sleep can do, well over 30 hours to do a motor swap and still not done yet.
1993 White gs klze.
goldsberry1

Post by goldsberry1 »

honestly, the valves wont hit the pistone, i broke my timeing belt at over 8,000 rpm. all i did was replace the belt, i still drive it every day to work. i just put a long clean piece of wire in the no.1 sparkplug hole and useing a socket roatate the engine until it was at its highest point. but there is a little mark on the crank that will tell you when its there. i wish i knew that before. oh and be sure to line up the cam pulley marks too
92' mx-3 gsr, built engine, forged internals, p/p ze heads. t3/t4e .63/.60 turbo, udp, msd ignition, millenia s injectors, millenia im, water cooled intercooler, afpr, fmu. running at 7 psi right now
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by goldy1:
but there is a little mark on the crank that will tell you when its there. i wish i knew that before. oh and be sure to line up the cam pulley marks too
You still need to figure top dead center, because every other time that mark on the cam lines up, it'll actually be 180 degrees off TDC.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”