Is my transmission hopeless?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mdavis

Is my transmission hopeless?

Post by mdavis »

Hmmm.. My transmission has been "grinding" briefly whenever I shift from 2nd to 3rd for some time now.. It will mostly go away if I'm easy on it a while, but will come back when shifting fast and hard.. But after a *fun* night about a weeek ago it was grinding pretty bad on that shift and it poped out of gear really easily. My girlfriend lives down a pretty rough road and I have to hold it up in 3rd or it would pop out and you'd slowely rev or it'd kinda grind.. That lasted a few days.. It got harder and harder to even put it in 3rd, until finally just grinding indevinitly and never going into gear, no matter how hard you try.. lol
so im assumuing that's pretty bad. I'm buying one of those turbo kits from korban (the man) So possibly I will install that and an MX-6 tranny.. Anybody know where I might look for one and how much they cost? Thanks.
GS-R SE
Fixin's
lakersfan1

Re: Is my transmission hopeless?

Post by lakersfan1 »

Did you try Royal Purple or Redline fluid yet? My car was from California and was having third gear problems too, even in leisurely shifting. I put Royal Purple in, and after a couple hundred miles, the shifting got alot easier.
Sam Baker

Post by Sam Baker »

the guy who swapped my engine up in Yuba City has a tranny if you need it... then again an mx6 tranny would be nice, since they go up 140 i think :D
92 Autozam AZ3
dewthis

Post by dewthis »

I had the same problem with grinding when I shifted into third. I tried Redline, Royal Purple, and finally syncromesh. The syncromesh is the goods, no more grinding! Give it a shot, but don't waste your money on the other stuff.
65 shot > V8
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

hmmmm.... I will have to try that. But I really doubt it's going to work... :2thumbsup:
GS-R SE
Fixin's
ninjasteve

Post by ninjasteve »

If that doesn't work try bleeding your clutch. air in the line could compress so sometimes it pushed the slave cylinder all the way and sometimes it doesnt, i had this problem before
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Originally posted by ninjasteve:
If that doesn't work try bleeding your clutch. air in the line could compress so sometimes it pushed the slave cylinder all the way and sometimes it doesnt, i had this problem before
Hmmm... that's an interesting idea. I bled it pretty well a few weeks ago when I did my swap.. but I will do it again. Thanks! :)
GS-R SE
Fixin's
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

shifter popping out of gear = your transmission is fawked. Rebuild or replace it. Those "special magic" fluids are just a waste of money at this point and aren't the salvation your tranny needs. Rebuilding is the only way to save your tranny from the depths of hell for eternity (aka the junkyard).
Noble Green Metallic 93' GS Hybrid, 91' 1.8 323
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
Nallboy
Supporting Member

Post by Nallboy »

:werd:
Mine did the same thing but in 5th gear. It finally wore itself out totally. I'm replacing mine with my swap.
'93 GS sporting 31 ZE, 36 ECU, Millenia IM & TB, Beefed up tranny, Fidanza FW, CM Stage II-R, Al UDP, HS Headers, MF Hi-Flow CAT, 2.5" Piping, CAI, MGC Wires, MS Mounts, B&M SS, Bronzoils, SS B & C Lines, Brembos...more.
Oh yeah, I have a stock ATX 92 RS too.
"Everyone wants to live life in the fast lane; I have more fun weaving through traffic."
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

I was assuming the fluid wasn't going to work, but I've heard of it doing some azmazing stuff, even for one of my friends, so I'm going to try it before I spend all that money... Does anybody know a good palce to get a new tranny? I want the MX-6 one. I've only tried a few places I found when I was looking for my motor.. But only one of them had the tranny.. They wanted $450 + $170 shipping to California. Shipping is obviously a problem.. but I'm sure I can get it cheaper if I arrange for my own pickup from a cheaper company. But, I have no idea waht to expect for a tranny. $450 is exactly what I was expecting :( But can I get a cheaper one elsewhere where there is still quality control? Thanks
GS-R SE
Fixin's
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

I bought a 98 626 tranny for 180 shipped. It has 30k miles and looks almost new :shrug:
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
mdavis

Post by mdavis »

Where from? Local recycler?
GS-R SE
Fixin's
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Have you tried http://mazdarecycling.com/ ? They're in Ranncho Cordova, practically your backyard right? Huge yard w/good inventory (ck. out the link), and good ppl to deal with. Go in person if ya can. Their email and phones get pretty busy sometimes. I never bought a tranny from em but have had other stuff shipped to me on the East Coast and never had any probs. If they can help you out, maybe you can avoid those shipping $$ or most of that cost at least. :shrug:
Gro Harlem

Post by Gro Harlem »

Mazda recycling sucks. Overpriced & unfriendly people.

go to http://car-part.com you should find a tranny for a good price there. I've had nothing but good experiences with all the businesses on there. bought a millenia TB for 50 shipped off there too.
DONATE TO MX-3.COM
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

Originally posted by Gro Harlem:
Mazda recycling sucks. Overpriced & unfriendly people... go to http://car-part.com
Apparently Gro has consistently been mistreated at all times and on all levels by everyone at Mazdarecycling. Like Gro, I can only speak as far as my own experience w/Mazdarecycling, I've done 3 deals there, & each time we negiotated a fair price w/reasonable ship cost and fast shipping. I agree that car-part.com is an excellent source and may end up yielding the best combo of part/price/shipping elsewhere- but their search results might also list a tranny in Mazdarecycling's inventory.

Morgan, since ya only live approx. a 30 min. drive from Rancho Cordova, MazdaRecycling or some other close-by wrecker yard might mean you could eliminate shipping costs entirely. You could put that tranny in the back of a p/u or van and drive it home yourself. And if ya DO end up checking into Mazdarecycling yourself, you apparently might not wanna say "Gro sent me." lol ;) :roll:

<small>[ July 09, 2004, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: perhapsadingo8yerbaby ]</small>

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”