LPG Converson

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
cowwilly

LPG Converson

Post by cowwilly »

Has anyone had an LPG converson done on there MX3 yet? If so can you tell me a) how much it cost you. And B) Did you notice any major loss in power?

Thanks.
If it aint broke dont fix it
Sonicxtacy02

Re: LPG Converson

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

you might wanna explain to us morons what LPG is. I'm thinkin Liters per gallon but that makes no sense :shrug:
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

lol and here I'm thinking "Liquid Propane Gas" like some buses use but... that can't be right... can it? Yeah, this moron wants to know too. :confused2:
IanL
Supporting Member

Post by IanL »

You're close :) Its Liquid Petroleum Gas, and the UK Government actually pays some of the conversion cost, in certain cases.

It is not a performance mod; I think you lose 5-10%, but the price of the fuel makes it attractive for people who do lots of miles - like taxi drivers. Not too many MX-3s used as taxis, though.
Re-shaped and re-sized gearshift lever. Best driveability mod you can do!
Extra thick soundproofing in the boot (trunk) to quieten my stainless steel exhaust system :)
wyldside
Supporting Member
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by wyldside »

I was eyeballing an LPG conversion. It shouldn't be too difficult but it's hard to find the required equipment here in Canada. North America is always 7 years behind Europe. Next time I go to Switzerland, I'm going to look around at some prices and maybe ship some stuff back. I'd like to do a Hydrogen Fuel Cell conversion but that's a bit too difficult on a MX-3 nore do I have the money right now. I have 3 Fuel Cell Stacks but I couldn't generate enough power for the weight of our cars. Well, now that I've probably lost everyone and no body know's what I'm talking about... See ya!
James Gosteli
X-Prez of MX-West

1992 Seal-Gray MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :mrgreen:
1992 White MX-3 GSR-ZE (KLZE 2.5L V6) :( Worklog (Parting out)
1993 Blaze Red MX-3 GS - RIP :cry:
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Thanks Ian. Yup, found this link after my post so I wouldn't stay a moron forever... ;)

http://www.lpga.co.uk/LPGA.htm

<small>[ May 28, 2004, 11:31 AM: Message edited by: perhapsadingo8yerbaby ]</small>
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Originally posted by WyldSide:
... North America is always 7 years behind Europe...
Not true. Sometimes more like 12 years, sometimes only five years behind.
TsiMiata

Post by TsiMiata »

Turbo it after the LPG conversion. The lpg cools the intake charge very nicely and has a very high octane rating.
93 MX-3 GS- ZE, KL31 ECU, Fidanza Flywheel, CM Stage 2-R clutch, Hotshot Headers

99 Subaru Impreza RS, the new toy

91 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD *RIP*
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

Hi folks

I do have an LPG conversion in my V6.

more than 20.000 km with that mod... great value for the money!
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

That's really cool. Good for the environment. You should see if you could legally take off all the egr crap and cat (since it burns so much cleaner). That should put you back to stock HP.

I have a funny/ sad story about backward governing. In Arizona, the governor passed a tax break for cars that ran LPG that was so good that the cars were free, after you wrote it off. So, dealerships sold SUVs with a small secondary LPG tank, but they still ran gas. So, it cost tax payers around $6,000,000, to buy rich people (including the Gov!) huge gas-guzzling SUVs, before people realized what was going on. This state also voted to NOT have Martin Luther King day, not even though it meant they would get the day off! YeeeHaaaw!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Chemical

Post by Chemical »

I was wondering how much your conversion was..? i know you are in Portugal but any info would be of interes, especually where the tank etc is and what loss of power / gained mileage you have noticed.
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

The tank is in the spare tire space. It takes near 30 liters. With a full tank I can drive around 250 km in city road.
Talking about power horses can be a long threat... for starting, LPG has 100 octanes, and like someone said before, advaced timming is possible...
My LPG kit is fully injected and the instalation over the intake looks a bit like instalation of nitrous.
Chemical

Post by Chemical »

I'd love to see some pictures of it. How much was it to convert?
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

It was 1400 Euros, two years ago.
I´ll post some pictures. gimme some days for that...
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

over here they do um natural gas coinversions, more on taxis..its weird how a 3rd world country (mexico) is more advanced in fueling than the united states..i guess we crash alot.. imagine crashing in a carf powered by natural gas.... BOOM
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”