intake question

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Sandman223

intake question

Post by Sandman223 »

I have a 1993 1.8L V6 GS and I was wondering what function the J-shaped plastic piece on the intake hose serves. It is the section that breaks off to one side after the accordian shaped piece and has a J- shaped funnel that reaches down about 10 inches and simply hangs there.

What function does this part serve? What would happen if I removed it and didn't cover the opening it left?
Jutzi420

Re: intake question

Post by Jutzi420 »

It's a resonator, I believe it's meant to cut down on noise. I got rid of mine a long time ago, didn't really notice a difference, but my K&N cone makes a lot of noise as it is. If you do pull it off you better cover it up or else you'll be pulling unfiltered air into your engine, bad idea.
lakersfan1

Post by lakersfan1 »

Originally posted by Sandman223:
What would happen if I removed it and didn't cover the opening it left?
Since it's after your airflow sensor, your car won't even run if you remove it. Go ahead and try.
Sandman223

Post by Sandman223 »

Does the resonator have its own filter? I didn't check when I took off my air intake hose to patch it up but I was under the impression that the resonator is just a hollow tube with nothing inside.

If it is hollow then how will taking it off pull in unfiltered air into the engine?
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

The proper term is "Resonance Duct" and as the guys said its used to reduce intake noise by abosorbing air flow pulsations and no it doesn't have its own filter.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
johnnyb
Supporting Member

Post by johnnyb »

if you were to take it off and look at it its just a piece of plastic with a closed end. taking it off and plugging the hole wont do anything performancewise just less weight i guess if you're really worried about that much weight
Sandman223

Post by Sandman223 »

So if it doesn't have its own filter isn't it pulling in unfiltered air? Why do people insist on covering it up and what would the difference be besides the noise if I took it off?

Sorry if I am asking too many questions but I don't get what you're trying to say.
Zoso124
Forum Moderator
antispam: No

Post by Zoso124 »

Its the banana looking tube between the Throttle body and VAF. The end of its closed, go look under your hood.
Mike Evans
Gone:
92 GS Tropical Emerald MTX 2.5L
93 GS Raspberry Metallic SE MTX 1.8L
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

If you don't cover the hole left in the intake tubing when you pull off the "banana", air will enter the intake tube after the air is already metered by the vaf, which will make your car stall.

Plug the remainting hole with something rigid that won't get sucked into the engine.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Originally posted by timpronk:
If you don't cover the hole left in the intake tubing when you pull off the "banana", air will enter the intake tube after the air is already metered by the vaf, which will make your car stall.

Plug the remainting hole with something rigid that won't get sucked into the engine.
ive plugged mine with honda hub cab center piece lol
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks
eldondemarco

Post by eldondemarco »

I recommend removing it and plugging it up with something shorter. I plugged it up with a spray paint can top. Looks cooler and seems to be a more direct flow from the airflow sensor to the manifold.
korban

Post by korban »

man and i always thought that bit of tube was to help create a vacum... mmmm..
GMGQ

Post by GMGQ »

I just took off my resonance duct, and plugged the hole with a little sauce dish! Hot glued it all around:

http://www.auphanonline.com/gallery/images/uploads/1/l_041103081503_432_2_2.jpg
Gary Mui ( mx3style@shaw.ca )
Vancouver, BC, Canada
http://mx3slimvisors.2ya.com
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

hmm i swear iwas told it was part of the vris system. I say this because once i removed it and I was lazy to make it facing down so i let it fasing sideways, well vertical on top of the air box and my engine light kept going on. I made it pointing down and it stopped having the check engine light on. Also i forgot wich coide..but it was something to do with vris. It works fine now. The part that I did remove ois that plastic piece where the hood support rests and ait comes in. I noticed my engine seems to run a bit cooler now since air goes in hitting it straight where that black hose was covering.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
RaverChankoMX3

Post by RaverChankoMX3 »

Originally posted by Marco E:
I recommend removing it and plugging it up with something shorter. I plugged it up with a spray paint can top. Looks cooler and seems to be a more direct flow from the airflow sensor to the manifold.
Exactly, a black top of a spray paint can is exactly what I used. I've got pics on my page...it's actually not noticeable (assuming you're not looking for the res.) Beforehand, I took two pieces of black leather, cut them and clamed them around and hand no problem. But go SP can :D :freak:

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”